I finally got a WSM!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, what's the premise behind the piedmont pan? You bolt together two pans with some airflow space and you don't need to use water?
Why two pans?
Why does this allow you to forego the water?
WTH?

Have you used yours with the double pan mod yet?

I am going to do that on my BSKD but I can't find pans local anymore and I guess I am going to have to order them. Can get them from Bass Pro for 5 dollars.

Yes, but just once. I have only used the WSM twice and wanted to use it at least once stock to see how much improvement the various mods made.

The only real advice I can offer so far is to watch your temps on the way up and don't let the smoker get to hot. Since you don't have the water assissting you it is harder to bring the temps back down. Let me know how you like the pan Rodger. I would be interested to see how some of our members like it and especially how it performs in other smokers.

I read that you can also make a foil barrier consuming about half of the area of the water pan to achieve similar results. I might give that a try tomorrow with some chicken thighs. I'm doing a brisket next weekend and would love a way to make fuel use more efficient.

Thanks for the info Rodger. I'll let you all know how it goes!

I also agree, the BBQGuru eyelets are most useful...I am super glad I bought them for my WSM...I still use one probe in the top vent, yes it can be a pain to remove everytime I take the lid off..but I have found this to be the best way for me.... :)

I modded my WSM with a variation of the Peidmont Pan. I have seen posted that some people purchase the clay base of a flower pot and drop that on top of the WSM waterpan. I found one at my local hardware store. Not sure of the size but it fits perfectly on the lip of my water pan. I have cooked with it twice using no water and it worked perfectly. Did 4 racks of ribs yesterday, Temp lined out and stayed in the 221 to 232 range for 6 hours. I am loving this mod and only cost me 5 bucks :) And no more messy water.

Goose

I had read about the clay pot base as well liquiddirt. I might have to try that one too, but the Piedmont is working so well I may not. Either one is fine as long as I don't have to futz with water anymore. Ahh, sweet freedom.

The last two weekends I have just foiled my pan leaving about 1 1/2 inch air space and no water. Works great. I catches the grease, but it stays cool enough that the grease doesn't flare up or burn. Love it. Am going to go ahead and do the piedmont deal, but until I get the second pan this works good.
icon_lol.gif

I may have posted this already I'm not sure but I put some of tose ceramic brikettes in my water pan and that works well too

Looks like I see another new addition to your smoker arsenal there Chad. Have you tried the BDS out yet? I got some questions to ask you about it some time.

Haven't had the chance yet to use it Rodger. It got here about 1 p.m. Tues. and now I'm back to work. Probably do something in it Monday at the latest. Haven't decided what I need to try first, but I'm looking forward to it nevertheless.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky