I finally got a good knife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have become addicted to the Bearded Butchers youtube channel, and this knife is the one they use in most of their videos. Victorinox 6 inch semi-stiff boning knife with rosewood handle. I'm tired of trying to trim/debone meat with junky knives and figure if they use this knife in a commercial setting, it should more than suit my needs.
View attachment 515803
I hate you guys.......not really, but i run across an old thread like this and it costs me hours of "research". I spent the better part of the morning reading and watching you tube videos on knives I could justify spending the cash on ( versus more firearms). I didn't buy anything, have come to decide i do need a new honing steel. I only have one "good knife". it's 25 years old and serrated, so not good for everyday. My daily knives are still chicago cutlery, which are ok but need to be honed almost every use. ( even with my worksharp sharpener. so i didn't buy anything and didn't want to waste time with another "which knife" post. it's seems knives are like women.
Plenty of various sizes, shapes and expense. so it's a personal preference thing. just do what makes you happy, I guess.

My daily knives are still chicago cutlery, which are ok but need to be honed almost every use.
My daily knives are a mix of chicago and various other grocery store brands. I've also seen said knives used as hammers, screwdrivers, etc. They are fine for the routine stuff, but when I have a bunch of deboning work, or I'm breaking down butts for bacon or sausage, I want a knife I can just pick up, hit a few licks on the steel, and go to work. I also keep my good knives put up so that they don't get abused like the daily stuff.

I have become addicted to the Bearded Butchers youtube channel, and this knife is the one they use in most of their videos. Victorinox 6 inch semi-stiff boning knife with rosewood handle. I'm tired of trying to trim/debone meat with junky knives and figure if they use this knife in a commercial setting, it should more than suit my needs.
View attachment 515803
Doug, they are great knifes, buy a good honing steel if you don't have one, and touch up the blade often while using it and for sure after each use. A trick I learned for the Chef's in my Nona's restaurant is to hit the wood with a torch to blacken it, so you don't have to oil it hardly ever. That's the same knife I tried to cut the tip of my finger off with last week, they get scary sharp and hold an edge really well.

Enjoy it, but be careful, you already have enough stitches for a while.
Dan.

Reactions: DougE
Yea I call BS on whoever said “dull knives are more dangerous or likely to cut you”. I learned differently on my first couple razor sharp knives complete with stitches lol. I learned to respect them quickly.
Same here, I hardly hit my finger with the tip of the knife last week, and it sent me to the E.R. in the middle of the night.
I was sure gun shy the next time I picked it up, and I ordered a chain mal* glove to use from now on when I'm breaking things down.

Doug, they are great knifes, buy a good honing steel if you don't have one, and touch up the blade often while using it and for sure after each use. A trick I learned for the Chef's in my Nona's restaurant is to hit the wood with a torch to blacken it, so you don't have to oil it hardly ever. That's the same knife I tried to cut the tip of my finger off with last week, they get scary sharp and hold an edge really well.

Enjoy it, but be careful, you already have enough stitches for a while.
Dan.
Yes, they make great knives, and yes, I have enough stitches to do me awhile. I will, at least, try to wait til the current ones are out before I go back for more. No point in being hoggish or anything.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
I hate you guys.......not really, but i run across an old thread like this and it costs me hours of "research". I spent the better part of the morning reading and watching you tube videos on knives I could justify spending the cash on ( versus more firearms). I didn't buy anything, have come to decide i do need a new honing steel. I only have one "good knife". it's 25 years old and serrated, so not good for everyday. My daily knives are still chicago cutlery, which are ok but need to be honed almost every use. ( even with my worksharp sharpener. so i didn't buy anything and didn't want to waste time with another "which knife" post. it's seems knives are like women.
Plenty of various sizes, shapes and expense. so it's a personal preference thing. just do what makes you happy, I guess.
Hahaha, I didn't even notice it was an old thread.
Stupid, Smartphone screens are too small for my old eye's.

DougE DougE , If you haven't got a smooth steel, yet my offer still stands if I can find the damn thing.

Reactions: negolien
Thats a good knife, I love the feel of the rosewood handle . Ours were plastic handles because of sanitation standards , the inspectors didnt like anything wood . They take a beating and still stay sharp as long as you use a steel on them

I have become addicted to the Bearded Butchers youtube channel, and this knife is the one they use in most of their videos. Victorinox 6 inch semi-stiff boning knife with rosewood handle.
Yes - mine looks just like that except it has a plastic handle. Six inch, semi-stiff. I bought it in Jan 2020 after much research. 4.8 stars on Amazon. My model # is 5.6603.15. I use it to trim briskets, it's very sharp. I suspect the edge bevel is 15 degrees so that's where I hone it and it stays very sharp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky