I cooked a whole hog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigGebben

Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
So did my first whole hog smoke this past weekend and it came out super moist and delicious. I didn't wrap it as soon as I should have and it got crispy in parts but those were actually my favorite parts. It was about a 70 + pound hog and it took 9 hours at 250 to 300. It was a great time and super fun.

Resized_20211004_090624.jpeg Resized_20211004_094741.jpeg Resized_20211004_144105.jpeg IMG_0143.jpg

Now that looks delicious to me!
I have never done a whole hog, it is on my ToDo list.
Excellent job!
Al

Looks great! It’s been awhile since I’ve done one. You have me thinking it might be time. Congratulations on making it onto the rotator.
Good job!! We smoke just the green ham with the skin on since I only have a small smoker. On purpose, we strive to achieve a crispy skin and some other parts, everyone goes for the crispy parts. Never heard of wrapping a whole hog.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Nice job! Looks great and sounds like you were happy with the results!

I have only helped doing one. It was a good beer drink.

Looks fantastic!
What’s the details on the cooker? I’ve cooked a bunch of them over the years on many different style of cooker. Just curious about your set up and fuel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
Nice Job Big G!!
Looks Great !!----Like.
I helped Bear Jr Smoke a few Hogs years ago.
Too much work for me, but not for him.
We switched to Cuts, like Boston Butts, Chuckies, Brisket, and Such.
Less Work, Less Waste, Less Time involved.

Bear

Nicely done! I've only done one 30 years ago. We don't do those giant parties anymore...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky