I can make Andouille too!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

macbillybob

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
San Antonio Texas
Finished my batch of Andouille and decided to start a fresh thread. Came out good and I even experimented with the soy protein.

I added 1/3 cup to half (5lbs) and it seems to be "plumper" . Don't know if it will affect the taste but I would not think so being that it was such a small amount.

I have documented with pictures on my Google Albums. Should be able to see them.

https://picasaweb.google.com/billybobmc/Andouille021211?feat=directlink

Here is the final shot while I am waiting for them to bloom.

6b35af05_PICT0085.jpg

It does seem like the best color I have gotten with Andouille. Don't know that I did anything different.

One of these days I am going to learn how to make pretty links. They still taste good and when they are cut up in Gumbo noone knows what they looked like.

I usually get better color by smoking at lower temps for a longer period of time.  Did you change any of that?  I like what you ended up with. 

What type of wood did you use and how long at what temps did they smoke?

Al

I use mostly pecan. My neighbor had a very large pecan tree cut down and I have a ton of wood. Might have had a couple of pieces of oak in the bucket too.

I started out low 120-140 but it is warm here today (75-80) and the temp got up to 160+ for a while. I usually raise the temp slowly anyway but this got up there after about an hour or so. Wound up at 180 for an hour or so to finish off. Total time was about 5 hours to get to 150 + IT.

I use pecan too. I am going to get some sugar cane to add soon.

I run the temp up a little every couple hours. When the amazen is done I crank it to 180 until it hits 155 IT

Yours looks great..I agree with the link comment too. It is getting easier the more I do.

Couple days in the fridge it will be even better tasting.

Craig

Done.

I hear Mr. Gumbo and Ms Jambalaya calling. Maybe even my buddy Red Beans wanting a taste.

9df90dc2_PICT0088.jpg
86369fad_PICT0086.jpg
My Buddy Weisers ready to go, he brought 23 budds with him too.....beaut lookin sausage, xcellent work, gonna follow this soy protein idea, not xactly sure what it is but I have heard of it....peace

That is some great looking sausage - Like Bear said, I could eat a bunch of that too

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky