I am creating a database of regional, state, and local meat prices and I need your help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
Recently, I posted a price comparison of meat prices from three of the suppliers I buy from - Wild Fork, Costco, and Restaurant Depot (RD). Many folks told me that they do not have access to big box stores or an RD. A fellow Smoking Meat Forum member suggested that someone create a public database broken down by state, region & local areas.

Well, guess what? I'm going to do just that. I took early retirement and have LOTS of time on my hand so I decided that this will be my next project.

Before doing so, I don't want to just jump in and create a massive spreadsheet. I would like your input as to what you would like to see included in this database? I cannot include every single type of meat, so I think it best if we keep it to the most common meats that we buy and cook. I also think it would be a good idea to include the pricing for wood and charcoal (lump and briquettes).

I'd love to get your feedback and begin to lay out a plan. Once I have formulated the overall information that I will include, I'll run it by everyone to get feedback, input, and suggestions.

I think this can be a live, ongoing database and should be very useful to everyone. Feel free to reply here or send an email to me at [email protected]. Please be sure to include meat type, price, store name, state, city and region in your correspondence.

I look forward your hearing from all of you.

Peace

Last edited:
I don't recommend a spreadsheet.

MS Access is probably a better choice for a true relational database.

Reactions: jcam222
I don't recommend a spreadsheet.

MS Access is probably a better choice for a true relational database.
I use the term "database" as a general term. The actual tool I use is not relevant. I work off a Chromebook, so it will be some sort of Google-centric document. But the software I use is not important

I use the term "database" as a general term. The actual tool I use is not relevant. I work off a Chromebook, so it will be some sort of Google-centric document. But the software I use is not important
Ok. Just a suggestion. But the choice of software is relevant provided things like eliminating redundant information input, easy extraction of usable data are important to you.

Reactions: chopsaw
Yep, I got that. I can easily edit and remove any redundant info via Google Docs. In my other life and I was a Marketing Director for a major travel and hospitality company

Yep, I got that. I can easily edit and remove any redundant info via Google Docs. In my other life and I was a Marketing Director for a major travel and hospitality compa

Cool. Are you using Google Sheets? In my other life I was was an Analyst for the DoD, Analyst for a 2500 person Police Department, and currently develop data capture, analysis, and reporting applications as part of my current position with the Dept. of the Army.

Was just providing input which you solicited...

All good.

After reading dozens and dozens of comments, it appears this would not be as useful or even as wanted, as I thought it would be. In all honesty, I would think that I would get an overwhelming number of comments with hundreds of thousands of members. Didn't happen. So it appears that the vast, vast majority just didn't see the value or didn't care.

One suggestion caught my eye, an app called FLIPP, which essentially does what I wanted to do - checks prices from one's local stores on almost any item.

So, my idea is dead.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback

I tried.

No, I know it is someone dying laughing with tears - I just have no idea why you posted it and how is it relevant to what I posted? I assume you were making some sort of asinine, ignorant comment - but I could be wrong. But most likely I am not.

If you hover your pointer over the emoji and hold it still, a little pop up window will describe it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
and you are an as**ole. Time to out you on IGNORE
yankee2bbq yankee2bbq is a good fella. I think he was laughing at the fact that you thought you'd get tons of feedback on your "spreadsheet". This forum has a lot of members indeed. But out of the hundreds of thousands of us that aren't bots and who are active posters, there probably ain't 200. He was just being funny.......but only funny because it's true

yankee2bbq yankee2bbq is a good fella. I think he was laughing at the fact that you thought you'd get tons of feedback on your "spreadsheet". This forum has a lot of members indeed. But out of the hundreds of thousands of us that aren't bots and who are active posters, there probably ain't 200. He was just being funny.......but only funny because it's true
Appreciate you Jake. Truth.
And I apologize to Daba's BBQ Daba's BBQ if I caused any harm and/or hurt feelings. My intention was not to do any harm. Hope you stay a member on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky