I am about to do a mailbox mod to my Masterbuilt and have a question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hextejas

Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
I have the propane version, 2 door and am about 3/4 done with doing the mod.

I took the brace off of the smoker and am ready to cut out the back of the mail box.

Unlike all the other pictures of my smoker that I can find on the internet, mine has 2 vent holes already cut into the sides.

I was planning on leaving them alone and cutting out the back of the mailbox and directly attach it to the smoker.

The usual mod was to cut a round hole in both the mailbox and smoker and running a small piece of pipe between the 2.

For the smoker, I was hoping that I could leave the smoker's hole alone or maybe snip out the center pieces if needed.

For the mailbox, recall that I am going to directly attach it to the smoker so no piping needed.

So, would the shape of the hole be important ? Would it still work ok if I made a square hole that is slightly larger than the hole in the smoker ?

The end result would be a mailbox with a square hole bolted to the smoker with a partially impeded round hole.

I also have a battery powered 5" fan that I am going to mount at the other end of the mailbox to help force the smoke.

What do you think ?

I think it should work just fine.  you may want to put a high temp sealer around the square cut out before mounting if you are worried about any smoke leaking.

Square should work. You shouldn't need a fan to move the smoke, especially during hot smokes. It will naturally draw with the heat. I have plans to mount mine directly to the back of my GOSM propane smoker eventually. I will go round, but that's only because I have a 3" hole saw. I will plan to rivet or bolt it to the back and then use high temp where the mail box meets the smoker.

I think it should work just fine.  you may want to put a high temp sealer around the square cut out before mounting if you are worried about any smoke leaking.

That's a great suggestion David, thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky