Hungarian Bratwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef willie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 31, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Well, didn't get as many pictures of this batch as I intended but I'm sure everybody knows by now what a 10 pound pile of ground pork looks like. The last batch I made was only 5 pounds so doubled it to satisfy all the buddies that show up at sampling time....LOL. Well, they buy me beers so no complaints on my end and this is a hobby, right? So, only 2 pictures...one raw and one after steaming to 160 IT to ensure safe eating.

Here's the recipe without further ado. This was VERY popular with all that sampled some. Texture was excellent, aroma was outstanding (even uncooked) and dipped in mustard was pure heaven.....Willie

HUNGARIAN BRATS

10 lb. ground pork butt
1/2 pint cold ice water
3 whole eggs
2 cups powdered milk
1 T ground pepper
1/2 t ground ginger
1 & 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
2 t ground mace
5 T salt
4 T minced garlic
1 & 1/2 cups paprika (or until desired color is reached)

place minced garlic in one half pint ice water, allow to soak over night, the following day, mix all ingredients thoroughly, place in a plastic bag, seal tightly and allow to sit over night, the following day add 1/2 cup ice water, and mix thoroughly, press into casings, freeze, or cook fresh within two days.

You're welcome everybody....I must admit I copied this a while back from a member here, name of Mike. Unfortunately, I did not copy the thread it was in, like I usually do, to give him proper credit. He mentioned this recipe came from his friends parents by way of the grandparents who escaped from Europe during WWII and came to the US.....Willie

Great looking final product Chef Willie, got to agree they are a nice color. Here is the original posting that you were talking about..

From a good friend of mine.

His parents & Grandparents came to USA from Germany, during WW II.  Their "old world recipes" are so-o-o good! 

Even when they are tweaked with a bit of modern stuff!

( I've made these and they are awesome! )  Both recipes are good, but I prefer the German Style, and I do add 1/4 cup of Paprika. (sweet or hot as you like) to the German one for some color.

German Brats  - 10 lb. recipe,

10 lb ground pork butt
1/2 pint ice water
3 whole eggs
2 cups powdered milk
1 T. ground pepper
1 t. ground ginger
1 T. fresh ground nutmeg
1 T. mace
1/2 t. ground allspice
5 T. salt

thoroughly mix all ingredients, and wrap tightly in a plastic bag, refrigerate over night, the following day, add one more 1/2 pint of ice water, mix thoroughly again, to moisten, stuff into casings, and freeze, or cook fresh within two days.

The Hungarian version

10 lb. ground pork butt
1/2 pint cold ice water
3 whole eggs
2 cups powdered milk
1 T ground pepper
1/2 t ground ginger
1 & 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
2 t ground mace
5 T salt
4 T minced garlic

place minced garlic in one half pint ice water, allow to soak over night, the following day, mix all ingredients thoroughly, place in a plastic bag, seal tightly and allow to sit over night, the following day add 1/2 cup ice water, and mix thoroughly, press into casings, freeze, or cook fresh within two days.

A tip on freezing sausage,  wrap each link individually in plastic wrap tightly, then wrap in freezer wrap, as many links per package as you prefer,

Another tip,  make some links at 6 inches long for hot dog buns, like a lunch size,

and then some lengths in 10 inch lengths for dinner size portions.

Guten essen! mein fruends,mike
------------------------------------
IF... GRINDING YOU OWN MEAT......

Grind the meat thru a 5/8" plate first!  Then add ingredients and then grind thru a 3/8" plate.  Chill between grinds, and clean grinder between grinds.  The best way to clean and dry your plates, is in hot soapy water, then rinse, shake out and then put them on a hot burner grate on your stovetop with the heat off.  Then chill them well, before using again.

I have another silly question. Is there a device that ties the ends between the two links? I've seem them twisted, only problem is with Boudin when ya heat them one end always slide up. I have seen them tied like the above (Kudo's to the Chef, thats why he's a Chef and I am a dishwasher). I have seen those bag tyers for the chub bags, is there nothing like that for sausages? Is it something I missed?

If there is no such thing maybe we should put our heads together. I maybe start a R&D dept at A-MAZ-N?

Opps.. so sorry chef, I was going to say how pretty those Brats are and as usual my simple mind started wandering. Those are beautiful Chef and thanks for sharing the recipe too!

Last edited:
HUNGARIAN BRATS

10 lb. ground pork butt
1/2 pint cold ice water
3 whole eggs
2 cups powdered milk
1 T ground pepper
1/2 t ground ginger
1 & 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
2 t ground mace
5 T salt
4 T minced garlic

place minced garlic in one half pint ice water, allow to soak over night, the following day, mix all ingredients thoroughly, place in a plastic bag, seal tightly and allow to sit over night, the following day add 1/2 cup ice water, and mix thoroughly, press into casings, freeze, or cook fresh within two days.
Let me see if I have this correct..

Step 1 Day 1Add minced garlic to 1/2 pint Ice water, and allow to soak overnight.

Step 2 Grind the pork and add all dry ingredients mix thoroughly and place in tightly sealed plastic bag for overnight fridge.

Step 3 Day 2 Add 1/2 cup water with garlic mix thoroughly, and stuff.

Or is it

Step 1 Day 1Add minced garlic to 1/2 pint Ice water, and allow to soak overnight.

Step 2 Day 2Grind the pork and add all dry ingredients and garlic water, mix thoroughly and place in tightly sealed plastic bag for overnight fridge.

Step 3 Day 3 Add new 1/2 cup water mix thoroughly, and stuff.

Newbie? Is there a special way you steam them?  They look smoked with all that color.
No special steaming method....I'm sure poaching works just as well. Lotta paprika in there, could also be my camera (?)

I have another silly question. Is there a device that ties the ends between the two links? I've seem them twisted, only problem is with Boudin when ya heat them one end always slide up. I have seen them tied like the above (Kudo's to the Chef, thats why he's a Chef and I am a dishwasher). I have seen those bag tyers for the chub bags, is there nothing like that for sausages? Is it something I missed?

If there is no such thing maybe we should put our heads together. I maybe start a R&D dept at A-MAZ-N?

Opps.. so sorry chef, I was going to say how pretty those Brats are and as usual my simple mind started wandering. Those are beautiful Chef and thanks for sharing the recipe too!
, Foam, I don't know of any device. I find the twists hold mostly, some don't, and once cooked really set up better. Then, I snip in between with shears.I think many might use string, make a space and tie again for the next link.

Let me see if I have this correct..

Step 2 Grind the pork and add all dry ingredients mix thoroughly and place in tightly sealed plastic bag for overnight fridge.

Step 3 Day 2 Add 1/2 cup water with garlic mix thoroughly, and stuff.

Or is it

Step 2 Day 2Grind the pork and add all dry ingredients and garlic water, mix thoroughly and place in tightly sealed plastic bag for overnight fridge.

Step 3 Day 3 Add new 1/2 cup water mix thoroughly, and stuff.
It would be the second set. I used only 1/2 cup of water mixed in before stuffing. Is soaking the garlic necessary? I seriously doubt it. And I just left the sausage in a SS bowl overnight with film over it...no baggie thing.....seemed like a wasted step & bag to me.

You really put 1 & 1/2 cups paprika in 10# of meat?
Yep, correct sir. 1/2 cups total. Luckily, I can get it in the bulk bin. Next time maybe 1/2 of that hot pap & the other half smoked paprika?? What ya think?

1 1/2 cups of Paprika sure seems like a lot to me,

Is this a typo?

Rich-
Nope, spot on...1 & 1/2 cups....delicious aroma developed overnight. When I opened the fridge it was wafting out.....like opening the door on a new car...LOL

Good question Redwood.  The way I read it your second way would be it, but hopefully we will get the answer.
Yeah,,,,second way was it. Hope all your questions were answered.....the garlic prep & baggie step seemed unnecessary but that's the way the recipe was written

So basically

Day before grind, mix a half cup of water and garlic and let sit overnight.

Grind and mix all ingredients and sit overnight.

Mix and stuff.

I had better start soon if I am going to be eating these this weekend.
sausage.gif

Thanks for posting this recipe again.

Last edited:
OK ... so you said yep .. 1/2 cup total (paprika) and then you said Nope, spot on...1 & 1/2 cups

So .......... I wonder which it is?

OK ... so you said yep .. 1/2 cup total (paprika) and then you said Nope, spot on...1 & 1/2 cups

So .......... I wonder which it is?
Sorry about that....I realized after posting I missed the ONE and IE was acting up and would not let me in to correct. It is ONE & ONE HALF cup of paprika...LOL. yeah, a lot of pap for sure.

So basically

Day before grind, mix a half cup of water and garlic and let sit overnight.

Grind and mix all ingredients and sit overnight.

Mix and stuff.

I had better start soon if I am going to be eating these this weekend.
sausage.gif

Thanks for posting this recipe again.
Its really good...hope you enjoy. Truthfully, I'm not sure about 'what' the soaking of the garlic does or is meant to do. I know some will soak sliced onions to take out the 'bite' but I never ran across that with garlic.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky