HUGE turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walking dude

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 5, 2007
Des Moines, IOWA
i have a 19 lb turkey i am smoking friday, for my mom's 75th birthday celebration saturday..........its in a soak now.........i will be brining and injecting.........last turkey i brined for @24 hours.......and it was just 12 lbs......should this larger bird be brined longer

second question.......breast be sliced......dark meat prob. pulled.......mother wants this as sandwich meat, cold......(YUK).....how to keep it moist......smoked most of the day friday, prob. finished up in the oven.......should i wait to pull, slice till sat., or do it after its rested friday nite?

TIA

Sorry Walking Dude, I don't have any advice. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I love me some smoked turkey! A 19 pounder... wow. Also, Happy Birthday to your Mom.

WD...19lbs is one BIG bird...a bird that large is likely to be in the danger zone longer that it should. Generally 10 to 12 lbs is the max recommended size for smoking. I would suggest halving or quartering for safety sake. Then brine & smoke as you normally do...

Cheers,
Brian

P.S. Happy 75th to yer maw!

yup Steve I think split the bird in 1/2 to smoke-and only a 24 hr brine-ain't done 1 and prolly never will but that makes sence to me.

Well then...it'd be alot more work, but I reckon you could debone it...just an idea...I'm just concerned about the danger zone with a bird that BIG! Don't want Mamma to get an unexpected b-day surprise!
eek.gif

shakes his head as eating a pulled pork Sammie with Slaw on it thinking WHY they won't fit?

Do you have some really sharp kitchen shears? If so, you could probably cut the thing in half, up along the back, and split the breast down the middle = 2 halves ...

but you also have a breast bone.......having a hard time getting my pea brain (shut up you guize) around the idea

Cook it standing up, for that size, you will need a big v8 juice can. When it is standing like this, you get better airflow around the whole bird and it cooks faster. You might be surprised, it could be done in 4 hours at 275. When you carve it, lob an entire breast off for Mom and wrap it up, it slices nice and thin when its cold:-)

I'v done 22 pounders this way with good success:-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky