Gelatinous Fat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buttercup Shinkicker

Original poster
Jun 3, 2023
The South
I am a new graduate of the Youtube school of brining. I did see some similar threads but no answer to my situation.

I did a five day brined a brisket for pastrami. The flavor was fabulous. The cooked texture was spot on. My issue was the fat turned into a never wants to come off anything gelatin. Everything it encountered was so sticky fat gross. This took forever to clean and was not pleasant.

Is this normal? Should I trim more of the fat off the meat before brining? Is there a ratio of water and salts I did not do correctly? Any help would be appreciated. I am new to brining.

Here is a list of my ingredients of my brine. The meat was submerged with a plate for 5 entire days. I rotated every day.

• gallon water
  • cups kosher salt
  • tsp pink curing salt
  • Tbsp pickling spices
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
Thanks in advance for any help. It is appreciated .
Lil

Reactions: JLeonard
You didn’t include the amounts that you used. Most guys on here that use a wet brine use this recipe.
Also they go for 2 weeks in the brine.
Personally I prefer to do a dry cure for pastrami, I like the texture & flavor better.
As to your question about the fat, I have never heard of that before, but I’m sure someone on here has, so hopefully they will be along shortly.
Al

You didn’t include the amounts that you used. Most guys on here that use a wet brine use this recipe.
Also they go for 2 weeks in the brine.
Personally I prefer to do a dry cure for pastrami, I like the texture & flavor better.
As to your question about the fat, I have never heard of that before, but I’m sure someone on here has, so hopefully they will be along shortly.
Al
Thank you for the information and the recipe link. I appreciate your help. =) I will try the recipe this weeks meat. Not sure what that will be yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky