How would you do your Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How would you do your prime rib

• Salt encrusted, see first post for the explanation of this

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • smoked

• grilled

• oven

• deep fat fried

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
how bout further info on that dutch...........sounds like a possibility..........this thing will go 8-9 lbs..........what size oven to use?

temps, number of coals used, top and bottom?

TIA

Did you say prime rib AND king crab?? Can I spend the night?
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Hahaha, thanks Tex,I think we all know what I would do with it, and the smoke will NOT overpower everthing at the table!
icon_smile.gif
.If I lived near ya, I would come over and do one for ya, especially if ya kept my "iced tea" glass full at all times!
icon_smile.gif

I would love to get my hands on a 8-9 lb prime roast,especially if its "prime", instead of "choice". I ahve done the salt encructed a couple times, but I like the smoky taste, the salt encrusted is moist and flavorfull, better than oven roasted, but I still like layin that baby in my cooker above some good coals, and wonderful smoke! Smoke it to 130-140, tent in foil for 15-30 minutes!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

me too Dan, wished you lived closer.........someone said summin earlier in the post that even with the salt crust, it gets some smoke...........and like i said, i have done one on the smoker............but been so long, can't remember. it was also a 7 bone rib. I normally do 7 bones, once upon a time, when i had money...........LOLOLOLOL

so what is your secret???

142 for the top one in the pic, and 145-148 for the lower ones. I personally think 140-142 is the perfect internal. If I was doing a 6-8 none roast, I would go to 136-138, because of the added mass.

The rest was 15 minutes I think, If i can remember. That is my usual rest for beef, heck I rest my burgers off the grill for 10 !
cool.gif

thankx capt.

this, tho, will be bout a 4 bone roast, which my butcher tells me, will run 8-9 lbs.

I would take it to 140 max if it was me, if ya like rare beef, stop at 136-138.

Au Jus recipe below - sounds like it will be awesome. I like the pepper butter idea. I get my beef base from Sam's in a small tub - lasts a long time. Enjoy! Brad

Boning the roast makes slicing the meat much easier at serving time: Have your butcher remove the backbone, or chine, from the whole rack and cut the meat off the ribs in one piece, then tie the meat back onto the bones. The roast can be served on or off the bones. To crack whole peppercorns, enclose them in a resealable plastic bag and crush slightly with a meat mallet.

What to drink: A medium- to full-bodied red with peppery spice, such as Syrah (called Shiraz if it's from Australia).

Ingredients

18 1/2-pound standing rib roast (weight with bones), top fat trimmed
Vegetable oil
12tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2tablespoons cracked or coarsely ground black pepper
4large garlic cloves, minced
1/2teaspoon salt
2 1/4cups low-salt beef broth
1/2cup dry red wine

Roasted Red Onions
1large bunch watercress

Preparation

Place roast, fat side up, in roasting pan. Brush exposed ends of roast with vegetable oil. Sprinkle roast lightly all over with salt. Mix 8 tablespoons butter, 2 tablespoons cracked pepper, minced garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons pepper butter for sauce. Spread remaining pepper butter all over top (fat side) of roast. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover roast and reserved pepper butter separately; chill.)
Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F. Roast rib roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat registers 125°F for medium-rare, about 2 hours 45 minutes. Transfer roast to platter and cover loosely with foil; let rest 30 minutes (temperature will rise slightly as roast stands).

Strain pan juices from roasting pan into measuring cup. Skim off any fat from top of pan juices; discard fat. Return pan juices to roasting pan; set pan over 2 burners. Add broth and wine to roasting pan and boil over high heat until liquid is reduced to 1 1/4 cups, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan, about 6 minutes. Whisk in reserved pepper butter and remaining 4 tablespoons plain butter. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.

Surround roast with Roasted Red Onions. Garnish with watercress. Slice roast and serve with sauce.

I may get rapped for this but Prime rib is the one beef cut that I don't think I'd want smoked. Done right prime rib has a delicate flavor and texture that is unique.

GnuBee sneaks out the back door in the dead of night.......

Every year at Christmas I cook a full 7-rib rib rib roast for our family dinner, feeding at least 8 adults or more; its the one extravagance I insist on. I cook it the following way:

Place roast in large roaster pan ribs side down. Season with kosher salt, milled pepper and granulated garlic, add 1 cup water, cover tightly with foil. Preheat oven to 200° (unless you're @ high elevation then about 10° below boiling point, see related thread). Push thermometer probe into center of roast, both in depth and width, right thru foil. Roast until therm. reaches 118° - 120°. Pull from oven and leave intact (foil and probe) and set on counter, letting roast rise by itself to 128° - 130°. Meanwhile, raise oven temp to 500°; when roast gets up to temp then pull probe and foil and put back into oven for 15 minutes and brown. Pull from oven and let rest at least 5 minutes, take off butcher twines and seam off ribs, then carve boneless center in 1" slices. Meat should be uniformly pink with no more than 1/4" brown heat ring. Cook time approx. 6 - 7 hours, but can vary alot depending on thickness of roast. Make gravy from drippings.

Comes out perfect every time!
d3fa24b3_vbattach20417.jpg

d7ba4c90_vbattach20418.jpg

Howdy Steve, I know that most people would not even try a deep fried prime rib. The first time that I read about it I thought it would be awful, however, I tried it and loved it. I have two prime ribs in the deep freeze right now and I'm thinking next weekend would be the time to smoke them for an hour or so and then deep fry. I will let you know how it turns out.
wink.gif

I'm looking forward to a 7 bone roast for this Sunday. It'll be my step son's 19th BD dinner. I odered it cut into 3 pieces. Two with 2 bones each and one with the third bone. I'll rub it several hours before cooking with Sauer Candian Steak Seasoning and smoke it with mesqite & mullberry. I'll do a super hot reverse sear at 120* to a final 135* and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing the lil roasts apart and serving.

I really enjoyed this method last time I made a RR. I think it's the #1 way to go.
biggrin.gif

pops, how does that brown in foil????

can't wait for the q-veiw terry.......how bout a step by step photo op, on how to do it? P-L-L-L-E-E-E-A-A-A-A-S-S-S-SS-E-E-E-EE-

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky