How/why a taller exhaust stack on an offset?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tallbald

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Southern KY
New here and have been looking around about OK Joe Highland modifications for clues to a better machine. Some have found a taller stack, in the form of an aluminum extension, gives better draw of air into the firebox. Not sure I understand how/why that's the case. I seem to remember from school that taller industrial stacks draw better at factories but I thought that was because they reached higher in the atmosphere and the faster moving air (wind) at the top created a low pressure effect that drew more air up through the stack, like low pressure on top of a plane wing. Please teach me. Thanks. Don.

You are correct... The top of the stack is in less pressure than the base... Therefore a draft is created...

I don't mean to jump in on my mentor daveo, and yes he is 100% correct, but "Sensay" does it really matter if you have a long pipe extending upward at 200ft up .... as apposed to an extension at 3ft off the ground. Does it not come down to longer is better in any case?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky