How To Survive A Storm When You Can't Smoke Or Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking b

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2012
Middle of Nowhere, South Central PA
Here is a simple survival plan to get you by when things unexpectedly go awry...

Start by having a large thunderstorm appear from out of nowhere just as you are ready to light your charcoal.

Bonus points are awarded if the hail is larger than the size of a dime.

It is also helpful if the rainwater is building up at a faster rate than it can run off or soak in...

Now that you're set with the inclement weather it's time to execute the survival plan. The survival plan is based on grease - lots of flavorful grease!

Start by frying yourself a few cheese sticks with homemade sauce to get you by. I forgot to get pics of the frying - sorry...

As you eat them, put some french fries in the grease to start frying.

Once the fries are done give them a healthy dose of Death Rain Nitro.

Make sure you get plenty

on the fries so they have a healthy kick!

While you're enjoying your fries put some chicken in the grease to fry.

Once the chicken is done let it cool for a minute or it will burn you...

While it's cooling get your dessert ready.

This particular dessert happens to be an oatmeal peach cobbler.

Get it ready & by this point your chicken will be ready to eat.

Once the chicken is gone enjoy your dessert 
thumb1.gif

This is an easy to follow survival plan - whatever beverage you choose to couple with this plan will be fine...

Looks great.   

We had a couple small t-storms roll through this afternoon.

Screw the weather! Get out there & smoke or grill something!!!!

My dear wife still thinks I'm nuts. I'm  out there in crazy weather.
Wind, rain, sleet or snow doesn't bother me but I'm not big on being out in the hail very much - I get more than enough of that every time I get caught in it on the bike... 

Great plan SB, I like it.... That all looks real tasty for sure, reminds me it's been way too long since I've had some good ole peach cobbler ! :drool

I have to concur with WateringHoleBrew. All the food looks good but I'd like to try your cobbler out!

ARRG I found this thread on a night when I'm craving something deep-fried, haven't had that in a while. Looks great, man! But no habanero with the peach?

I could run the smoker in a storm but the lid is drafty, need to fix that. A gusty wind would blow the heat out sideways unless I was cooking direct. There have been times that our family has put a grill in the garage to cook while sheltering from a thunderstorm. (The house is still here)

I'm lucky that this house has a gas cooktop, so a blackout doesn't stop it. But, I keep a few different kinds of cooking heat - butane burners, propane stove, gasoline stove, and a fistful of grills. That comes from years of camping, but also from having an all-electric apartment. Got to have a Plan B. Same goes for lighting with lanterns.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky