How To Survive A Storm When You Can't Smoke Or Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a walk out basement and a second story deck. I put up a few hooks in the beams and hang a welding blanket from it/them to form a coccoon for my WSM. Works in any type weather...kind of reminds me of the Karate Kid's Halloween costume. ; ' )

ARRG I found this thread on a night when I'm craving something deep-fried, haven't had that in a while. Looks great, man! But no habanero with the peach?

I could run the smoker in a storm but the lid is drafty, need to fix that. A gusty wind would blow the heat out sideways unless I was cooking direct. There have been times that our family has put a grill in the garage to cook while sheltering from a thunderstorm. (The house is still here)

I'm lucky that this house has a gas cooktop, so a blackout doesn't stop it. But, I keep a few different kinds of cooking heat - butane burners, propane stove, gasoline stove, and a fistful of grills. That comes from years of camping, but also from having an all-electric apartment. Got to have a Plan B. Same goes for lighting with lanterns.
Ha! You caught me on one of the times I didn't use any hab! Anyone who knows me will testify that I probably use a little more heat than I should for most things 
th_violent5.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky