How to stop chips from igniting?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PorkIsAwesome

Original poster
May 9, 2018
Hi all.

N00bl3t food smoker here. Just built and seasoned my Smoke Hollow PS4415 propane smoker and plan to cook some ribs tomorrow.

The manual said to do a 45 - 60 minute smoke at 300 which I did.

What it didn't say to do was to use chips or not to produce smoke. I opted to use the wood and two times they caught fire.

Should I be concerned? I know that the majority of my cooks will be lower in the 225 - 250 range and I guess I'll check to see if the chips ignite again tomorrow when actually cooking but are there any tips or tricks for this unit to prevent the chips from catching fire?

In fact, I only used one burner and one one chip box with the other burner off and chip box in but empty.

Thanks

I use chunks in my propane smoker and it has to have a lid or it will burn up in no time flat,lid smothers it and lets it smolder ,don't bother soaking as that only slows down the smoke and you want smoke hitting it as long as it can before it seals up,hope you enjoy it and don't be afraid to try different things til you find what you like the best

It's the break in.
Ordinarily, the initial heating helps burn off manufacturing lubricants, so that's why the 300° mark.
Masterbuilt recommends 275° (Max) for 3 hours. And chips during the last 45 minutes.
When at the highest setting, it is probably not to unrealistic for the chips to ignite off, especially considering there is not food in it to produce any steam to slow down the flash point.
I would go ahead with the plan. And you are correct, most of your smokes will likely be low enough to keep the chips below the flash point.
If curious, try putting water in the water pan, then run it through a cycle at your expected range to see what happens.
It only costs some fuel and chips to play, and a good idea before food is at risk. ;)

Shucks, I did several pretend runs before actually putting food in mine.
Boys and their toys... :)

Use chunks or cookies like I use below... Use only 1... it takes 2 pieces of wood to build a fire... 1 chunk will smolder for a long time....

67502bb8_Hotplatecookiespan.jpg

Wrap a handful of chips in aluminum foil, and poke holes in the top. Then the chips will smoke but not have enough oxygen to fully ignite. Works great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky