How to smoke Boneless NY Strip Roast???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eaglewing

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 4, 2008
St. Louis MO
My buddy was given a 3.5lb frozen $60 Boneless NY Strip Roast and wants to know what it's gonna take to smoke it.
I told him to possibly treat it like a Prime Rib Roast.
He says it's kinds flat and square as opposed to round.
275° till it's 135° IT??
Rub it in a good Prime rib rub?? Or a good ol' fashioned steak seasoning?
He just has a small MES type coal/chip smoker. I'd offer to do it on my Traeger.

Reactions: JLeonard
I'd be tempted to just go with salt & cracked black pepper, but might add a bit a garlic. Since the carry over will take it beyond 135º, I probably would pull it at 128-130º.

Reactions: eaglewing
Last edited:
Recently I accidentally stumbled on a way to cook top shelf roasts and it has turned out the best I've ever had. Done it three times now, two with tenderloin and one with tri tip. All were excellent...well about the best we have ever had. Start smoker at 245 or so for 40-45 minutes to set the bark then drop the temp to 210 or so for a very slow cook. You'll get the perfect edge to edge pink that is cherished when dealing with a nice roast like that. I like a little Worcestershire sauce, a sprinkle of kosher salt, and black pepper. Here is a link to one of the tenderloins I did that way.

Robert

My buddy was given a 3.5lb frozen $60 Boneless NY Strip Roast and wants to know what it's gonna take to smoke it.
I told him to possibly treat it like a Prime Rib Roast.
He says it's kinds flat and square as opposed to round.
275° till it's 135° IT??
Rub it in a good Prime rib rub?? Or a good ol' fashioned steak seasoning?
He just has a small MES type coal/chip smoker. I'd offer to do it on my Traeger.

I've found the best way is to smoke it like a Prime Rib.
Below is a Real good one from 2018:
Link to Step by Step on "New York Strip Roast":
New York Strip Roast (Christmas 2018)

IMG_3009.jpg

I agree with everyone. Smoke like a Prime Rib, I would start at 275, until the IT hits 100, then drop the temp down to 225 until the IT hits 125. Rest and Eat. I personally like to coat my roasts with Worcestershire Sauce then hit with SPG.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

THANKS TONS GUS!!!
WOW you guys did some freaking awesome roasts... I might have to find me one soon!!! (his son paid way too much for this roast tho...)

Much Appreciated!!!!!
hi.gif

Reactions: bigfurmn
A well marbled NY roast is my favorite cut of beef at the moment. It's just magical, I would eat it 5 to one over Prime Rib.... The ones I showed above & the Au Jus were better than the beef I've had at Ruth Chris....

When I pick one I make sure to check both ends to see good marbling and minimal vein cut into the center. When gilling the vein cut ones can curl and be tough, smoking them it breaks down and becomes tender!

I'll buy a half strip loin, rub and smoke to about 135-140. Let it hang out in the fridge overnight and slice thin. I package in vac bags, 4oz each and freeze. I take a brat bun and a package of meat to work, nuke it for about 30 secs and have an awesome lunch.

Reactions: Bearcarver
I have done a few of these roasts for a big family Christmas parties.

For the rub I use
Black Peppercorn
Fresh Rosemary
Fresh Thyme
Kosher Salt
Pearl onions
Olive oil

In my coffee Grinder/spice mill I add the pepper, Salt, Rosemary and thyme, and add to a mixing bowl.
I finely dice the garlic and onions ( for a large batch I use a micro food processor), then I add to the mixing bowl and start adding Olive oil until it is similar to peanutbutter.

I take the roast and trim the fat down if it is real thick ( I like a bit of fat on it just not to much). After trimming I would sprinkle with a bit of Granulated garlic, then apply the rub and let sit for at least an hour, lightly wrapped in plastic wrap or tinfoil.

For the cook all I had was a Kettle so I do not know exactly what my temps were but I would guess around 250-275 in temp and with a couple of good hickory wood chunks on the coals. Set the roast for indirect heat until my internal is 115-120.

Then I pull and tent while bringing the Kettle up to a screaming hot temp. Add the coals to the kettle and give it about 5 min or so to settle and sear the outside for about 3-5 min per side. Then I would pull the roast and let stand for 20 min and slice.

Attachments

• XmasRoast.jpg
    XmasRoast.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 13
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky