How to heat a large smokehouse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

harmonyswayfamilyfarm

Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
We are a small family run farm with an on-farm processing facility for our meat. We have an 8 x 8 x 8 foot insulated cement block smokehouse that we smoke hams, bacons and sausage in. Our problem is getting the temperature up to 200F and holding it there for the correct time for hot smoking. At this point we are using a propane torch for heating and a metal pan for holding the smoke chips. We are looking for options that would be suitable for a smoker if this size. We prefer to use propane. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Benton's in Madisonville Tn uses 2 pot bellied stoves to heat a massive room of bacon and hams, I'm sure any wood stove would work wonders for you, learning the temp control will take some practice, they have the stoves setting outside of the building, I would have a cover of some kind to keep the rain off though. It wouldn't take much of a fire to keep the temps up more than likely

You may be better off, depending on the availability of wood to you, to preheat the a space that large with wood, then switch to a larger ring burner to maintain the heat. Could be cheaper than using all of that LP. Of course I could be totally wrong.

There are a few threads made in the last year discussing larger propane burners for smokehouses. Check out the search feature :-)

It looks like you need something in the 1500btu or so to heat that space. Maybe you can find some help in these threads, but I'm sure there are more.

Last edited:
I have been researching along these lines myself for a future brick smoke house. 8x8 is a fairly large space to heat up to 200*, but I would give Tejas Smokers a look, and or a jingle. They have some nice looking propane burner options. Since this is their business, if I were you, I would give them a call and explain what your trying to do. They might be able to fix you up.
https://tejassmokers.com/Pipe-Burners/527

Reactions: fivetricks
You may be better off, depending on the availability of wood to you, to preheat the a space that large with wood, then switch to a larger ring burner to maintain the heat. Could be cheaper than using all of that LP. Of course I could be totally wrong.

There are a few threads made in the last year discussing larger propane burners for smokehouses. Check out the search feature :-)

It looks like you need something in the 1500btu or so to heat that space. Maybe you can find some help in these threads, but I'm sure there are more.

We tried this and it helped but still couldn’t keep the temperature up.

Prob time for a bit more detail then.

Have any pictures of the block, roof, inside, insulation, door, chimney?

If not, can you give a more detailed description of the type of block and insulation? Also, what state are you in? This will help to understand climate and are you smoking all year or just in the fall/late fall seasons?

Also; did you read through SmokinEdge SmokinEdge 's post? He provided a decent bit of knowledge towards your problem.

Toss a few more details our way and we can better understand how to help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky