How to finish off spare ribs with BBQ sauce?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

finsfree

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Me and a buddy of mine are doing a BBQ cook off for the superbowl this weekend (Go Broncos). His spare ribs vs mine.

I'll be using the 3-2-1 method in my Oaklahoma Joe Honghorn offset smoker.

My question is when should I apply the BBQ sauce to the ribs to give it a nice glaze? I'll be using a sauce called, "Bone Sucking Sauce". It is some really good sh#t!

Thanks

Also, the 3-2-1 method kind of gets them too tender. I think I'll try like a 3-1 1/2-1 method.

I like them fall off the bone, but not mushy.

Most sauces have a high sugar content so baste them the last 30-45 minutes so the sauce doesn't have as big a chance on burning like it would if you put it on early in the smoke. 3-1.5-1 is close to what I do

Most sauces have a high sugar content so baste them the last 30-45 minutes so the sauce doesn't have as big a chance on burning like it would if you put it on early in the smoke. 3-1.5-1 is close to what I do

3-1 1/2-1 tell me more.

How does it turn out? Do you us apple juice in the foil?

It turns out good using those times. As for foiling stage I like to add some butter from a squeeze bottle type then raw honey and seal the foil tight

If you really like your sauce, use a small amount in with your foil, it will steam a trace of that flavor into the meat.

Then in your last hour, like they say above, sauce it, I normally try about every 15 mins if not an electric, every 30 on electric.

Last edited:
I use Bone sucking sauce as well. I do not foil my ribs though, so take this as you will. Depending on how many coats you want(I do one full coverage all over leaving meat side up then add another when the first has glazed) I will do it when the ribs pass the bend test and allow them to just cook about 20-30 minutes (no more) with the sauce on.

With the 3-2-1 you are firming during the last hour if I understand correctly. I would still sauce at 20-25 minutes before hand. If it glazes too much you can always hit it again right at 5 miutes before removing. I use a brush like the one below for applying the final sauce.

Have you ever tried the Bone sucking rub?

Last edited:
Reactions: bigr314
I like to sauce mine every hour. Adding lots of horseradish while it's in the foil makes them not mushy for some reason so I leave mine in the foil for the full six hours. You really should try it. I've won many competitions using this method.

I don't think sauce should ever be used. My thought is if you make a great product you don't need sauce. It's kinda like what are you hiding by adding sauce. That's just my opinion. Some will agree some will disagree.

However I have had someones ribs before and was begging for sauce so you know sometimes it's needed.

I don't think sauce should ever be used. My thought is if you make a great product you don't need sauce. It's kinda like what are you hiding by adding sauce. That's just my opinion. Some will agree some will disagree.

However I have had someones ribs before and was begging for sauce so you know sometimes it's needed.
haha ok myron mixon

I like to sauce mine every hour. Adding lots of horseradish while it's in the foil makes them not mushy for some reason so I leave mine in the foil for the full six hours. You really should try it. I've won many competitions using this method.
I like to sauce mine every hour.

Don't listen to this guy. He's the one that just lost against me in the bbq contest.

Be aware of his comments and advice...... Booo....boooo....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky