How to Build a Mailbox Mod for an MES Smoker (pic heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I appreciate everyone's information this is all new to me especially the cold smoking..I love to cook and have made some great things from the recipes found on this forum and hopefully I can get the cold smoking thing figured out and continue to learn about smoking food so thanks for the tips

I picked up the 4"duct fan yesterday and the needed hardware I'll try it this evening..I tried the muffin fan in front of the mailbox mod with no luck and inside the mailbox burns about an hour.. It's definitely an air, draft problem I left the tray outside the mailbox it burned the whole row ..

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_192024766.jpg
    IMG_20200315_192024766.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 29
I picked up the 4"duct fan yesterday and the needed hardware I'll try it this evening..I tried the muffin fan in front of the mailbox mod with no luck and inside the mailbox burns about an hour.. It's definitely an air, draft problem I left the tray outside the mailbox it burned the whole row ..

If it works outside the mailbox, that's why I think it will work if it's in the mailbox, and the fan is in the duct between the mailbox & the MES.
Picture this: You could have your AMNPS sitting right outside of the Mailbox door, with the fan in the Duct. The AMNPS would be working, because it's outside of the mailbox, and the Fan would draw the smoke through the mailbox & through the duct, to the MES, unless of course it is too windy. So all you are doing is sliding the AMNPS into the Mailbox & closing the door, out of the wind. The fan should still be drawing the air flow around the AMNPS, so it should work.
That's why I said it should be an adjustable speed fan----Turn up to get it going---Turn down once it's going to get a nice smoke flow to the MES.
PS: Make sure your top vent is fully open.

This is all just "Bear Theory"---Has not been tested previous to what You're doing.

Bear

I will be trying it today..I like your theory ...I actually work at a fan company we make anything to do with air movement I would like to use our test lab...we also make hoods,fans for restaurants above the grills so the same concept as your theory... thanks Bear

A problem with using a small fan in the duct or in the mailbox, or at the exhaust vent of the MES is that the blades of the fan will get very gooey from the smoke. This adds weight to the blades as well.

Kevin, looking at your reply #53 pics, I would find a way to shorten the flex duct line. Also consider locating the mailbox so it is lower than your MES.

Regarding using a tube, I only half fill mine. Meaning to fill the tube half way up. Turn it horizontally and shake it sideways to level out the pellets. This ends up with the tube being half filled. It will then produce far less smoke........if......too much smoke is an issue.

Yes holes in the mailbox door. I also have holes in the bottom of the mail box. If using a tube in the mailbox, consider creating a support stand for the tube to lift it off of the MB floor and help prevent it from rolling around.

Here's a pic of my setup:

Cheers
IMG_9090.JPG

Last edited:
The taste on my first cheese was like an ashtray...in less than an hour it never mellowed that was pellets I can't see into the smoker.... with dust it's pretty good actually on the light side the stuff I did last night I'm eating today..how long for the bread test
This ashtray smell / taste was a problem when I was cold smoking cheese through a mailbox mod and about 4 feet of duct. I had read somewhere on here that someone thought it was "stail" smoke. After trial and error I just recently began cold smoking cheese without the "ashtray" in the end product. Here is the simple solution I found. With the vent open all the way on the MES I only connect the latch to the door, not pulling the latch to lock and seal the door tight, which leaves 3/8" - 1/2" crack in the door. This not only solved the "ashtray" but it also had much more smoke entering the smoker through out, from top to bottom (before the smoke seemed to sit on the bottom of the smoker and exit through the mailbox holes). This has been a total game changer for me in the last couople weeks. Hope this helps

Reactions: MJB05615
I tried the fan in the exhaust with not much luck..I moved the smoker on a cart ..put the mailbox lower and lit the tray till I had it going good..still smoking great 1.5 hours and counting..my cheese has been great the last couple times I used dust and only filled the tubes half full I could actually eat it the same day

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_164237898.jpg
    IMG_20200316_164237898.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: MJB05615
Good for you. You can continually tweak your setup until you find the sweet spot. Just work on shortening the tube and whatever you feel you need to keep, keep it as level as possible between the mailbox and the smoker. A little incline to the smoker would be optimum.

2.5 hours in and still going strong I even had to cover a couple holes on front..I must of not been getting any draft or actually maybe some down draft with were the smoker was located before... guys thanks for all the help it's greatly appreciated

Glad to hear you got it figured out. It must be a elevation thing. I've seen alot of set ups where the mailbox and smoker was at the same height. Mine is due to convenience instead of design.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
Thanks for the help it's greatly appreciated!!!!has anyone used an element in a similar mod on occasion for chunks or bigger pieces I have an endless supply of apple I thought it would be nice the tray or tubes then on occasion chunks??

Thanks for the help it's greatly appreciated!!!!has anyone used an element in a similar mod on occasion for chunks or bigger pieces I have an endless supply of apple I thought it would be nice the tray or tubes then on occasion chunks??

Yeah, I had all kinds of solid wood that I had made into chips & chunks, but the AMNPS & pellets & dust work so good & taste so good, it's easy to forget about them.
You could run into somebody who uses them & give him a gift to make room for something else, like a stock pile of Pellets & Dust, in an air tight container to keep them Dry:

Bear
DSC01239 copy.JPG

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
chunks or bigger pieces
I do . I pretty much use the tube in the mailbox for sausage , hams and bacon . Longer low temp smokes .
I have the guts removed from mine , and if I'm smoking at higher temps , I put a chunk or 2 in the tray . Gives great smoke flavor . I see little or no smoke coming out of the smoker , but the chunks are always burned up .

I tried everything tonight to keep the tray going I wanted to see how long a row would take getting ready to do some salmon..I couldn't keep the tray going with everything I tried I'm going back to the tubes for now with pellets and dust in them I tried them and no problems at all

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky