How to add potatoes and veggies with beer can chicken?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unmarketing

Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hey everyone,

Just got the beer can chicken style stand and it has a space around the bottom to throw on potatoes and veggies. Any advice? Do I just put them in with the chicken at the same time/temp in the smoker?

Yes, you can do that.  Cut the carrots into smaller pieces, like 1/2", and the potatoes into 1" cubes, or they may not finish at the same time as the chicken.  Onions and celery can be just about any size.   

I have a WSM so I put the turkey or chickens on the top rack, the veggies in a pan on the bottom rack to catch the drippings.  The veggies can take longer than the poultry if not cut small enough. 

I usually smoke mine in a pan with the veggies, but I usually pre cook the potatoes & carrots, cause they take longer to cook.

The chicken drippings are fine dripping on the veggies.

Al

Not sure you want the poultry dripping into your other items? 
Why Not? The Veg and Bird will be coming out of a 225+ smoker fully cooked and the veg will be 200°F if they are tender. What can survive that? For the last 30 years, I put cut Taters in a pan and and roast them at 400 for 30 minutes. Then I place a rack of chicken parts over the pan and roast all another 30-45 minutes until thighs are 170 and the potatoes are browned. The Chix Fat gives the Potatoes a great flavor. I learned this from Grandma, who used this technique all her days. 

There really is no issue cooking/hot smoking Chicken over any meat or veg. The 225 plus temps kill dripping bacteria on contact...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky