how much time to add for multiple butts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trotline

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
tennessee
Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted here. I've smoked several butts on the WSM but always 1 at a time. Never attempted multiple butts. They normally seem to take about an hour to an hour 15 per pound on my smoker. I am smoking a 9.68 lb. and a 9.69 lb. for my mother in law's surprise 50th b-day party tomorrow afternoon. I want to plan for them to finish around 1:30 ish to be ready for the party at 3:30. How much time do I need to add for multiple butts? Any other adjustments I need to plan for?

I always get good advice from this site. Thanks a bunch for your help.

I really doubt 2 butts in a WSM is going to be much different than just 1. If you were going to pack 4 in there it might add some time but I don't think 2 will.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll plan for an hour 15 per pound to be safe. If they get done in 1 hour per, I'll probably be 2-3 hours earlier than expected. Will they be ok to sit in foil for 3-4 hours? I guess I can heat them back up in the oven for a few minutes if needed.

Wrap in foil then place in a cooler with some old towels wrapped around them for insulation and they will stay hot for hours, should be any need for reheat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky