How much smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking reef

Original poster
Aug 26, 2017
Richmond va
Do you guys constantly add wood the whole smoking process or just for a couple hours then just heat and coals after That? Am I over smoke flavoring my pork loo by smoking for the whole 3 hours?

Smoke a bit all the way till your food is done if you want. You would be good though after your meat is past 170. I quit adding wood for flavor after 170

Last edited:
My digital thermometers were 270-290 damn near the whole time and after 4 hours I had 158ish degrees an inch in and 140.4 in the center so I pulled it to wrap it up for 30 minutes. It was a pork loin not tenderloin and the miron mixon smoke cookbook said bring temp to 350 and cook 1.5 hours I believe but I combined that with another recipe and smoked my usual temp.

I think you guys are talking different cuts. 140-145 for loin and tenderloin, 195-205 for butts. I typically smoke the whole way, or not. It all depends on my mood that day.

I like a chamber temp of 250 - 260 and take it off at 140. Then let it rest for 15 min. or more. I only use two chunks of wood(about the size of a baseball combined). My wife and I both like a milder smoke flavor to accent the meat not overpower.  

Chris. 

Sorry for the confusion I did put pork loin in my first post but auto correct thought pork loo sounded better haha. Mixon has it for 300 some degrees for an hour and a half or so I believe. I don't have it in front of me to double check.

Regardless of chamber temp, I dry smoke (no water in water pan), and in my WSM I layer wood chunks in the charcoal so I get smoke the entire time.  The key is GOOD smoke, not that nasty white and grey, ash-filled stuff.  TBS or no apparent smoke from the exhaust, but a quick whiff reveals that smoky goodness.   

I have a char broil professional or some crap side box. It was a father's day gift and I figured I might as well learn to use it. Mine smokes heavily white slight grayish smoke the whole time usually. I start a fire with lump charcoal then use roughly 1"x2"rectangle by 12" long hickory wood from my dad's log pile I split down really small. But once I have the first load of coal and 2 strips of wood burnt down I just feed wood from there on to keep the heat and smoke going but seems a little too strong on smoke flavor to me.

Hmm.. have a try at using different wood. Like a bag of chunks maybe. Seems like you should only get smoke like that for a few minutes and it should clean up. You may have to work more air into the fire without getting to hot in the cooking chamber. Some people cook with the fire box door open to get clean fire. Yours may not be that kind.
Hope some here can give ya better peace of mind with some experience in that matter. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Last edited:
I appreciate it a lot. Usually the only time I don't have actual thick smoke rolling is when all the wood is black and crumbling and my heat starts dropping then I throw more wood on and starts smoking again. Wood usually last maybe 45 minutes and I loose smoke and heat. I smoke with the intake completely closed off to keep the heat down to 250ish but after yesterday and a lot of reading on here I think my factory temp gauge would serve better as a frisbee. I just got the digital ones and they said I was at 270 and the thermometer on my lid said I was in the 310-320 area so maybe I've been struggling to get my factory lid temp down to saying 250 which is more like 200 actual degrees. Who knows I'm trying something different next weekend more coals less wood and more accurate thermometers. I mainly go off my Weber instant read thermometer for meat temp anyway.

Yeah.. it shouldn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes for the smoke to die down after adding a piece. You will always get a bit of white smoke unless you keep a flame going like a camp fire. [emoji]128556[/emoji]And you know that it's not charcoal smoking up like that. You can probably keep the lid on the fire box propped and vents wide open at 1st. Then let the lid close and have the vents all the way open. Do you have a charcoal basket? It has air flow under it too?

Last edited:
No basket just the factory rack that holds charcoal about an inch or 2 off the bottom of the slide out pan. So should I keep a flame or no flame? I always work to keep the flame out to make it smoke/smolder cuz if I allow it to flame up the temp goes through the roof

No basket just the factory rack that holds charcoal about an inch or 2 off the bottom of the slide out pan. So should I keep a flame or no flame? I always work to keep the flame out to make it smoke/smolder cuz if I allow it to flame up the temp goes through the roof
Your lucky.. some people can't get theirs over 250. You can use less charcoal then. But keep less charcoal hotter. That should help burn wood and keep temps down . Adjusting air dampers as needed. Wood causing flare ups of temperatures is ok . Don't add to many pieces of wood at once. [emoji]128077[/emoji] you can turn and switch your meat and stuff around in there to cook more evenly. Bigger fatter pieces closer to the fire.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky