how much smoke

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by electriclouie, Sep 4, 2015.

1. electriclouie

electriclouie Fire Starter

how much smoke should I use for the 3 2 1 method in my Masterbuilt electric smoker I'm smoking ribs is there a certain amount of smoke you use in the three hours or just fill it up once and let it go and also do I keep the damper open halfway open or closed

2. smokingearl

smokingearl Meat Mopper

How much smoke is really a personal opinion. The chip loader will last about 20 - 30 minutes. I'd keep it smoking for the first three hours. There is no point in smoking for the 2 hours in foil. And you could smoke the last hour as well. leave the exhaust valve fully open the entire time.

smokinshixa likes this.
  3. electriclouie

what do you think the best wood to use for ribs mesquite or hickory

4. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hickory and first 3 hours.  Mesquite can sometimes be a bit over powering.

5. brickguy221

brickguy221 Smoking Fanatic

Mesquite goes better on beef than it does pork. In fact Mesquite goes great on beef.

6. electriclouie

I have some apple wood chips left with that also be acceptable and a very small amount of hickory

7. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sounds like a great mix! Now, smoke it, take LOTS of notes, and show us pics of the finished product! :drool

8. electriclouie

should I put water in my pan for smoking ribs or leave it alone

9. electriclouie

should I use water in my Masterbuilt smoker for smoking ribs on the 3 2 1 method

10. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I like hickory for pork ribs. Apple and pecan are also very good. Pecan is like a mellower version of hickory. If you're doing 3-2-1 (and in reality it might not be exactly like that) I recommend 3 hours naked over smoke, and then I would still apply smoke during the last hour. I think ribs do very well over 4 hours of smoke. But I think wood chips can oversmoke meat, giving it a harsh,bitter flavor so you don't want to burn too many chips at one time. I prefer to use wood pellets. You might have read about the A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker. Many of us use it.

I always keep the air vent wide open in my MES 30.

11. brickguy221

brickguy221 Smoking Fanatic

My favorite is Jack Daniels when using wood chips, but not so much with pellets. My second favorite is 2/3 Hickory and 1/3 Apple or Cherry with wood chips or pellets either one.. I have never tried Pecan on pork, so I must try it sometime. I have used Pecan on Jeff Phillips Campfire Chicken though. I "think" one of my Sons that lives in CA likes Oak on ribs, but not positive on that without checking with him first.

smokinshixa likes this.
  12. electriclouie

I used hickory and used Jeff rub everybody loved it thanks for the tip I appreciate it over here in Maryland Harford County

bigsteve likes this.
  13. Just a thought DON"T throw away those pecan hulls from cracking Pecans. SMOKE with them. They are about the only thing that has been in my chip feeder in a long time.  Jted

daricksta likes this.
  14. electriclouie

Great advice going to try it from Harford county maryland

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  15. bigsteve

bigsteve Master of the Pit

Looks like it went well.  Just my 2 cents.  I grill with Mesquite but I personally feel it's not a good choice for smoking.  Certainly not Pork.  

16. electriclouie

I very excited how it came out used hickory unbelievable everybody loved
    It it's on now from Harford county maryland going to try a turkey next got any ideas

17. Thanks everyone new to forum and a novice smoker...this was great info for me

18. einstein67

einstein67 Newbie

Apple is our favorite I only smoke for the fist hour and last hour if you like your ribs a little chewier don't use the foil