How much and how long....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This Finishing Sauce is popular to add to the pork...JJ

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

I have a friend that did his between 7-9 hours, but then I read up to 18 hours. That is a very big difference for the same cooking tem
My last butt I made was sooo delicious that me rethink my process.
It was for a party and I would have time o start the smoke the day before or day of and some unexpected events kept me from getting my normal supplies - only used lump and some hickory and cherry chunks and I knew I wouldn't have enough to finish.

So I reassessed: start the weekend prior, smoke to 160, bag then sous vide @ 160 for 18hrs. When cool enough to handle, shred. All the rendered juices stayed in the bag. I wiped and resealed in the same bag then heated it up in a pot of hot water. Cut the bag and into a chafing dish. Food ready on party day in no time with NO stress!

-- is 225 okay or should I use Hi Smoke (using camp chef pellet smoker)
Butts are very forgiving, I don't see any reason not to smoke @275+ and speed up the smoke a bit. If you love Smokey flavor, smoke at 225 until butt is160 then increase heat to 275-300 and finish hot.
I gave up on plans when it came to smoking, I just do things in advance of dead lines...<After a few family meals were planned but the BBQ didn't agree with the plan!>

I do suggest pulling when the IT is 205f though.
Me too, unless the event revolves around the smoke. Luv me a smoke & brew event. Sometimes mates join up and brew/smoke then drink. Or drag the kegs out for a camp trip and spend a weekend smoking and drinking.

I agree with the above. 195-200 CAN work, but you'll be better off pulling at 203-205F or the butt can taste a little dry. You'll think it's overcooked, but it's not; it's undercooked and more collagen needed to melt.

Reheating? A crock pot. A Dutch oven with the lid on the stovetop with the heat on low. Meat in a covered aluminum pan in the oven set at 250F. If you feel the need to add liquid, add a little apple cider. If you stick to 195-200F against all our advice, you'll be adding liquid. A few degrees of finishing temp can make a HUGE difference in underdone dry and juicy perfection.

And by all means whip up a batch of Chef JJ's finishing sauce above. I never serve PP without it. Just whipped up a batch last week with my smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky