How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This MES 30 is my first smoker.  The first thing I ever smoked was an 8 1/2 lb brisket, and that was about 3 weeks ago.  I invited over a bunch of the family and everone loved it.  I have 4lbs of pok loin in the refregerator right now that I will turn into bacon later this week.  I got the MES at Amazon because of the free shipping etc.  So far I like this smoker a lot but I am gathering the parts for a barrel smoker.  We all need a project --Right? 

LOL---Hey guys---We hooked another one!

Bear

I'm sad to say, but I don't like mine. I don't get the smoke flavor I want and it's a pain in the arse to clean. The window is useless to me, and cleaning it takes more time than it's worth. (Though I have found the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders on it)  I'm saving up for a Lang. Oh yea, slightly used MES for sale! LOL!
yahoo.gif

I got the analog 30" smoker and i like it. Although it is my first smoker. I dont have all the bells and whistles like the set and forget or the window but just like automobiles the extras sometimes mean extra problems. i've done tukeys, chickens ribs, pork shoulder, and alot of the ideas the generous people from this website post and havent had any complaints.

I bought mine at home depot got great deal last one in stock.Ribs are better than ever but still struggling with butts.Smoking time is great still not satisfied with butts and chicken.Double RL

New to the MES 30 but not to smoking meat. I have dabbled with homemade smokers made out of old gas grills and using metal boxes with wood chips in gas grills.

My wife bought it on Amazon.com and gave it to me for Christmas.  It was funny it arrived and she went out on the front porch and wrapped it and then had me bring it into the house and put it by the tree I thought she had bought me a safe as heavy as it was bringing it into the house.

Well my 1st attempt I did not know about this site, and I decide to smoke a turkey, I'll just say it turned out to be Turkey Jerky the dog would not even eat!
icon13.gif
  Brine what's that? But after that fiasco, I found this site. Thank God for small miracles.

My MES 30 quit smoking good after 3rd time used somehow it was not getting the chips to smoke, So I called the 1-800 # and talked to a nice lady and we went thru some trouble shooting things that I had already done. Then she said she would send me a retro kit to fix the problem (a larger smoking chip box) it covered the heating element completly.

Now everything works great again. Some one told me on the Roll Call forum to cover the chip box and the drip tray (poke a hole were it goes outside) with foil, that works great for easy clean up.

I did the 5day course and printed it out for farther reading. I think this site is great and the people here are very nice

and helpful.
8e35e53b_smokin1-23-201112-47-28PM.jpg

And you will be happy you did, there is an 84 for sale for $3300 and it has a gas assist log lighter

I'm sad to say, but I don't like mine. I don't get the smoke flavor I want and it's a pain in the arse to clean. The window is useless to me, and cleaning it takes more time than it's worth. (Though I have found the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders on it)  I'm saving up for a Lang. Oh yea, slightly used MES for sale! LOL!
yahoo.gif

And you will be happy you did, there is an 84 for sale for $3300 and it has a gas assist log lighter

I still have my 40in. that I bought about 4-5 yrs, ago, can't remember but have had no problems with it.Temp or anything else, knock on wood. I keep it inside. I use it when I have enough meat to fill all 4 racks.

Got my new MES 40" 1200 with window.  Seasoned it early morning then let it cool.  I smoked two sausages for dinner along with an onion and peppers.  They onion and peppers had way too much smoke and I learned that the bourbon barrel (while AMAZING for sharp cheddar cheese) is horrible for vegetables.  I then finished the sausages sauteed in my spicy BBQ sauce and put it on a potato roll with a [locally made] smoked sharp white cheddar, shaved.  It was amazing.  I plan on doing a mixed feast next week to truly break it in.  I wish the cord was longer.  That is my only complaint.  The insulation is amazing.  Very cool to the touch at 275

Last edited:
Just bought me a MES 40 at sams, my first smoker, have been reading on here for about 2 weeks, so it it time to try and smoke some ribs, the smoker is breaking in now, will start ribs in the morning

bigjohn

Hey forget all of the propane,electric,natural gas or what ever B.S., they are for beginners that don't know what cooking is all about.Spend your money on a wood smoker that uses split tember to cook with.The rewards are awesome.If you have one built for yourself as i did or go to lang you will never regret it . So go for it gal.Sell that peice of crap and buy a wood smoker.It takes alot more skill to cook with a wood smoker but you will be a happy lady when you do. Get one and enjoy.!!!

Hey forget all of the propane,electric,natural gas or what ever B.S., they are for beginners that don't know what cooking is all about.Spend your money on a wood smoker that uses split tember to cook with.The rewards are awesome.If you have one built for yourself as i did or go to lang you will never regret it . So go for it gal.Sell that peice of crap and buy a wood smoker.It takes alot more skill to cook with a wood smoker but you will be a happy lady when you do. Get one and enjoy.!!!
So we're all ladies & you are the Man.

A little strong for your first post, don't you think?

I was going to tell you to go to Roll Call to introduce yourself, but I changed my mind.

Bearcarver

Well I'm Fairly new to this site also. I have been smoking for about 3 yrs so fairly new to smoking to. I enjoy my UDS but I love the convenience of My MES.And as far as what smoking is all about. For me it is doing something that I enjoy and also enjoy watching other people taste my Efforts. So I guess I'll be a beginner for ever. We cant all be Pros.

So we're all ladies & you are the Man.

A little strong for your first post, don't you think?

I was going to tell you to go to Roll Call to introduce yourself, but I changed my mind.

Bearcarver

I AGREE with what Bear Said...

I AGREE with what Bear Said...
Well it looks like you chose the right handle for sure. To come here and put down folks who smoke differently than you do is absurd to be polite. 

This is most likely not the right venue for someone with your exceptional smoking and communication skills 

Last edited:
Where's Archie Bunker when you need him!!!!

I feel so stupid now. I was always under the impression that the whole point was to make tasty food, regardless......

Aw hell, lets just not feed the troll.

I have the Cajun Injector 30".  Must be made by Masterbuilt, looks identical.  Bought it and got free shipping from Jeff"s website.

Works great so far.  I've done turkeys, pork shoulder, and pork chops.  Next is the 8lb brisket thats in my freezer.

I have the MES40 from Sam's. Only used it twice so far. First smoke: three spares that were awesome!, Second smoke: three spares and two butts.... ended up finishing everything in the oven. The ribs were not done after six hours (temp too low) and the butts I just decided to finish in the oven (all turned out pretty good in the end) I'm having some temp control issues with mine that I haven't exactly figured out yet, and to be honest, I'm not all that happy about it. Shoudn't have to deal with "temp control" problems with a brand new "electric" smoker! I'll have my ET-732 tomorrow or friday, then I'll have a better understanding of how far the temp control is off. It'll all work itself out in the end one way or another.... I'll never forget how much we enjoyed the ribs from my first smoke in the MES! I'm looking forward to sharing some more great tasting food with my family and friends. And of course some Q-view with SMF...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky