How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bought my MES40 at Sam's last weekend.  Seasoned it and had my first smoke.  Baby Back ribs.  Came out ok (but far better than any I have done in the oven). 

Not very smoky. 

Used a rub recipe that i have used before, water in the pan and soaked Hickory chips.  Was unsure about the vent... open or closed... and how often to add chips.  Probably had the vent closed most of the time... figuring that the smoke would stay in the smoker, but I realize that the heating element may not cycle as much and therefore produce less smoke.

I am eager to try again but very concerned about the lack of smoke/smoky flavor.

A friend recommended that I try and practice with some chickens and just baby sit and watch how and what makes it smoke.

Any thoughts and tips would be appreciated.

For the best experience with the MES I'd get an A-Maze-N-Smoker.  You should always smoke with the vent fully open.  When using chips they say about a handfull ever 30-45 minutes is the norm.  Of course that depends on oxygen levels, temp, etc...  If you want to try a different rub try Jeff's rub.  It is a great start if you are looking at creating a few of your own or a great place to finish if you just want a time-tested rub.  I was with you when I did my first smoke in my MES.  After the first they got better as I learned how to use the smoker.  It is much different than any others I've used.  I haven't used many chips in it but from what I noticed it is horrible for chips.  I'd rig something up on the drip pan if I was really wanting to run chips.  That chip pan is too small and too close to the element. 

Last edited:
I have the MES40 from Sam's. Only used it twice so far. First smoke: three spares that were awesome!, Second smoke: three spares and two butts.... ended up finishing everything in the oven. The ribs were not done after six hours (temp too low) and the butts I just decided to finish in the oven (all turned out pretty good in the end) I'm having some temp control issues with mine that I haven't exactly figured out yet, and to be honest, I'm not all that happy about it. Shoudn't have to deal with "temp control" problems with a brand new "electric" smoker! I'll have my ET-732 tomorrow or friday, then I'll have a better understanding of how far the temp control is off. It'll all work itself out in the end one way or another.... I'll never forget how much we enjoyed the ribs from my first smoke in the MES! I'm looking forward to sharing some more great tasting food with my family and friends. And of course some Q-view with SMF...
Once you get the handle on exactly what the problem/s is/are, let us know. It might take a PM to MBtechguy (Darryl) to get you fixed up, but you'll get there.

I guess there are problems in a lot of new products, especially the low priced ones.

Bear

JP, I just got my MES 40 from Sam's last weekend, so I'm new at this, but it sounds like you got a lemon. I had no problem keeping temp up on mine. Despite being windy and 40 degrees, the temp never dipped below 225 by more than a degree or two.

I agree with the other posters. Contact tech support and also get the A MAZE N SMOKER . It is much more flexible than any other product out there. You can even stick it in a cardboard box to smoke and you dont need any electricity to run it.

I agree with the other posters. Contact tech support and also get the A MAZE N SMOKER . It is much more flexible than any other product out there. You can even stick it in a cardboard box to smoke and you dont need any electricity to run it.
What he said, plus even dummies can use the AMNS, like Scar & myself!

Duhhhh   Bear

Once you get the handle on exactly what the problem/s is/are, let us know. It might take a PM to MBtechguy (Darryl) to get you fixed up, but you'll get there.

I guess there are problems in a lot of new products, especially the low priced ones.

Bear
Thanks for the tip Bear, I'll keep him in mind. Got the ET-732 today and just finished the boil test. Food probe= 212°, Barbecue probe= 214°, at room temp, same thing... barbecue probe reads 2° too high. Guess I can live with that. When I get a chance I'll fire up the MES and take some readings.
JP, I just got my MES 40 from Sam's last weekend, so I'm new at this, but it sounds like you got a lemon. I had no problem keeping temp up on mine. Despite being windy and 40 degrees, the temp never dipped below 225 by more than a degree or two.
Cobble, I'm also new at smoking, tomorrow will be three weeks that I've had my MES. The first time I used it, I had a cheap oven thermometer (pretty accurate) in the middle section of the smoker, and even though the MES controller was holding the set point pretty tight, the actual temp reading at the "cheap oven thermo" was about 20-25° lower than the set point, which was 225°. I had to raise the set point on the controller to 250-255° to maintain 225° inside the MES. Anywho... I'm gonna test it out again with my new ET-732 digital thermometer and I'll see for sure if it's off or not and by how much.

Last edited:
Get a smoke daddy.

Anyone else notice how many 1st time posters come on here and their only post is to promote the Smoke Daddy?
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

I wonder what the job pays?  
police2.gif

Finally bought a MES 40, 2 weeks ago.. After all the reading here, I figured it was a good investment.. Picked it up at sams club,, Thank you to all who posted here about Sams Club prices,, Had it home 2 hours when I convinced the wife to fire up the smoker for a Pork Loin,, She read the manual and fired it up.. Pork loins turned out great.. Thank you for all the input on smokers,, Made buying this smoker easy.. now I guess I will have to get the A-MAZE

I am amazed at how this smoker takes cheap $2/lb pork loin and turns it into such a wonderful eating experience. It takes 2 racks to cook $14 worth of pork, what more can you ask for?

A little rub, some apple juice in the water pan, and apple/hickory sawdust mix in the A-MazeN-Smoker and 5 hours later dinner for 12.

Fred

Holy Smokes, am I ever getting the attention on this forum! Negative feedback is not necessary when you think about it. There are other good smokers on the market and there is a niche in the market for anyone with a good product. My positive feedbacks on eBay and my customers' testimonies speak for the Smoke Daddy and I certainly don't need to pay anyone to promote me or the Smoke Daddy- Inevitably when the Smoke Daddy is mentioned on this forum, sawdust fans come out of the woodwork to promote the Amazing Smoker. The Smoke Daddy is not intended for burning sawdust, it's much more versatile than that. It is intended for use with a mixture of hardwood charcoal, small or large wood chips, twigs and pellets. I really don't have the time or energy to compete for air time, I've got smokers to make! Have an amazing day and I'll catch up with you all later. Remember- WHO'S YOUR SMOKE DADDY?

Holy Smokes, am I ever getting the attention on this forum! Negative feedback is not necessary when you think about it. There are other good smokers on the market and there is a niche in the market for anyone with a good product. My positive feedbacks on eBay and my customers' testimonies speak for the Smoke Daddy and I certainly don't need to pay anyone to promote me or the Smoke Daddy- Inevitably when the Smoke Daddy is mentioned on this forum, sawdust fans come out of the woodwork to promote the Amazing Smoker. The Smoke Daddy is not intended for burning sawdust, it's much more versatile than that. It is intended for use with a mixture of hardwood charcoal, small or large wood chips, twigs and pellets. I really don't have the time or energy to compete for air time, I've got smokers to make! Have an amazing day and I'll catch up with you all later. Remember- WHO'S YOUR SMOKE DADDY?
AMAZE-N  simply AMAZE-N

Last edited:
How much do you clean your smoker?  Do you scrub the walls until they come clean?  Or is the brown considered "seasoned".  Just want to make sure i take good care of it.

Only Clean the Racks and Water Pan...  You can save work by wrapping the water pan in aluminum foil so all you have to do is replace the foil...

I usually only clean the racks, light lens, and glass door, but I have to start getting rid of little piles of burnt fat down around the chip box.

Those little suckers light up sometimes!!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky