How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I also have the cold smoker add on.  I was wondering if anybody has used pellets in it. You are the first Ive seen.  I would like to try it.  Any suggestions as to amount of pellets, or mixed with chips.

Thanks, Driver12

I never tried pellets in mine, but I will. I have a lot of pellets stockpiled for my amnps. Most of the chips I use work great, but I opened a new bag of oak chips today that were big, and put out a heavy white smoke. For the second batch of chips, about 45 minutes later, I used wet chips, and things settled right down. I usually run dry chips. The meat still turned out fine.

wow i thought of that but I'm not good at any of that all thumb LOL

also was scared of messing up my favorite toy

what is a P.I.D do i actually need that?

can you give more details

After thinking about the Rotisserie "In My MES" Idea awhile, I think I'll take a pass.

I consider them a Great thing in a grill, because nearly all the heat comes from below the meat, and passes by. So the Rotisserie allows even cooking around the whole roast or whatever you happened to have spinning. Without it you have to flip the meats over to get the other sides cooked evenly.

However in my MES 40, I never flip anything over, because my MES 40 is not a grill, and the heat & Smoke surrounds the meat without doing any flipping. Therefore I see no need to Flip or Spin the meat in an "Oven-like" Smoker like an MES. The Heat & Smoke will get to ALL sides without the use of a Rotisserie. IMHO

Bear

After thinking about the Rotisserie "In My MES" Idea awhile, I think I'll take a pass.

I consider them a Great thing in a grill, because nearly all the heat comes from below the meat, and passes by. So the Rotisserie allows even cooking around the whole roast or whatever you happened to have spinning. Without it you have to flip the meats over to get the other sides cooked evenly.

However in my MES 40, I never flip anything over, because my MES 40 is not a grill, and the heat & Smoke surrounds the meat without doing any flipping. Therefore I see no need to Flip or Spin the meat in an "Oven-like" Smoker like an MES. The Heat & Smoke will get to ALL sides without the use of a Rotisserie. IMHO

Bear
Bear I half agree with you. For things like ribs (i.e. the ribolator) spinning inside a smoker isn't going to change things. But for poultry, I would think the rotisserie would cause the drippings to roll around on the bird and constantly baste it. 

Bear I half agree with you. For things like ribs (i.e. the ribolator) spinning inside a smoker isn't going to change things. But for poultry, I would think the rotisserie would cause the drippings to roll around on the bird and constantly baste it. 
Good point for the juices on the inside not all going to one side, but as for the drippings, I don't want the outside of some meats juicy or wet, when I'm putting smoke on it. Depending on what I'm smoking, I won't even put smoke on it until the outside surface dries.

I just want people to know that a Rotisserie is a Thousand times more important on a Grill than in a Smoker.

Bear

sweet idea with the mod wa0auu , and your going to start manufacturing the mod unit and sell it for how much    lol

Bear
Yes.  I use a rotisserie for whole pork loins on the grill that is much hotter than the 275*F max of the MES.  I offset the fire so no flare ups and put the AMNTS on the other half.  I can put my Showtime rotisserie in the MES and run the cord out the exhaust vent. LOL 

-Kurt

Yes.  I use a rotisserie for whole pork loins on the grill that is much hotter than the 275*F max of the MES.  I offset the fire so no flare ups and put the AMNTS on the other half.  I can put my Showtime rotisserie in the MES and run the cord out the exhaust vent. LOL 

-Kurt
LOL----I'm afraid to use my Showtime until I find a heavier cord for it.

The undersized cord it came with gets too hot to even touch--------And my house is 100% wood !!!

Bear

LOL----I'm afraid to use my Showtime until I find a heavier cord for it.

The undersized cord it came with gets too hot to even touch--------And my house is 100% wood !!!

Bear
I got the Showtime in 1993 or so.  Great chxn machine and only did one rib roast in it and it didn't suck!  I hope my MES's last as long.

-Kurt

I myself see no reason for the meat to spin in my smoker either. I have a large tile over my hot/smoke box to more evenly disperse the heat and as far as poultry goes all my birds are cooked using the "spatscock" method. If I am not mistaken "most" of the juice from a chicken is from the skin and since I use the "spatscock' method I place the bone side down and the skin side up so all the juice from the skin flows down through the bird. Always comes out moist and tender every time.

My son got me the MES 30 at QVC for Christmas.I've only did salmon in it so far,which turned out great.I plan on smoking Alot more things in it when the weather starts cooling some.It's easy and convient for sure.For years I owned one very simular to the Oklahoma Joe,good heavy steel and well built with no leaks at all.I sold it a couple years ago and could kick myself for it.But I'm finding now as I get older that I like  things the Easy Way.
icon_wink.gif

I have had two MES 40's bought my first one in 2007 and it lasted for about fifteen months and was told heating element was not replaceable so I junked it. In 2014 i bought another one because i love the ease of smoking and when they are working well they are the best. Thirteen months later the left side of element burnt off so i ordered a new element and that lasted for five months. I sent Masterbuilt a email and told them i have had two Mes 40 and they need to improve there elements They said they would send me a body kit but they were out of them so they sent a new smoker. If you have any trouble contact customer service as they are great.

wow i thought of that but I'm not good at any of that all thumb LOL

also was scared of messing up my favorite toy

what is a P.I.D do i actually need that?

can you give more details
Hello dreadylock, short time poster here. I've worked with PID's and have one on my espresso machine. My understanding of a  Proportional Integral Derivative controller is that it uses: 1)  the difference between setpoint and actual temperature and 2) the direction (above or below setpoint) and 3) the rate of change of the actual temperature to control the heating element. They control the element by pulsing the voltage to it. When temp is above setpoint = no pulses. When temp drops below setpoint the PID starts pulsing the heating element. 1 degree below setpoint is a very short pulse, 2 degrees is a little longer pulse, 3 degrees longer yet etc. So what this does for you is provides tight temp control and reduced temp overshoot during heatup. As far as do you need it on  your smoker I would probably say no if you have one of the newer smokers as they seem to be maintaining temps in a 2-3 degree range. I know my MES 2.5 I just got off cragslist for $100 (cosmetic damage) maintains that and I"ve seen the controller turn the element on and off at the same temp. I'm good with that

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky