How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Tim for the welcome! Any specific mods/forums I should be looking at? Going to season and take it on its maiden voyage for dinner, have a few chicken cutlets and a pork tenderloin.

Productive call with Masterbuilt regarding heating issues... (I meant to post this here, but stuck it in the wrong thread previously)

I have two 40" MES 20070311 all stainless gen 1 smokers from Academy (as well as a pair of AMNPS 5x8's and a Maverick ET-733 w/3' and 6' hybrid probes)

I received one of them as a birthday gift a couple years ago. It worked fine until about 8-9 months ago, when it started tripping the GFIC whenever I plugged it in, sometimes not until I turned it on. A call to Masterbuilt resulted in them telling me to just use a non-GFIC plug...not a real solution, but it worked. The last time I went to use this unit, the temp went to 300 degrees and would not come back down (the cabinet temp, not the controller) without the unit even being turned on, just plugged in...

I bought the second unit at the Academy 'Black Friday' sale last year and until recently, it has been working just fine. A couple weeks ago, it too started tripping the GFIC.

Today, I called Masterbuilt customer service and following a 10 minute phone call to explain what was going on, the rep agreed to send me two new heating elements, with the caveat that if this didn't solve the issue with the older unit, they would follow up with a new digital controller for the unit (with the overheating issue).

Keep in mind that the unit that's overheating is over 2 1/2 years old and Masterbuilt is still willing to send me replacement parts without a hassle.

Granted, I am known to be firm and persistent, without blowing my cool, but they really didn't have to do anything for me, since both units are out of warranty. For those of you with nightmare stories about Masterbuilt's customer service fulfillment, perhaps you might try a little nicer approach to get what you need from them...?

Just my $0.02

(And no, I don't work for Masterbuilt, Academy, or any affiliated company)

And in spite of those issues, I sure do like the way they turn out the product!

2 quartered chickens, 3 slabs of baby backs and 3 different kinds of sausage...

Hey Bear...
I've heard some horror stories as well, but my own experience has been positive up to this point. I had them send me the chip loader 'upgrade' for both of the smokers post-purchase and they fulfilled those requests with nothing more than a phone call...
Yup, I had one of the chip burners that wouldn't smoke until the temp got to about 240°, and then only when the element was on. They sent me the retro-fix, and that one flamed the chips. I could have played around with the distance between the element & the chip drawer bottom, but why bother----AMNPS for 100% of my smokes took care of everything.

Bear

BTW: Nice smoker full of goodness!!
drool.gif

Last edited:
my first smoker, I was sold on smoking, I use mine for cold smoking Salmon and as a warmer . Bought the cold smoke attachment!:grilling_smilie:

Not new to smoking but getting long in the tooth and wanted a smoker that doesn't interrupt naptime LOL.  Found a MES-30 (generation 1) for $179 at Gander Mountain. It is prepped and ready to be put through its paces this weekend with some ribs.

I do large monthly BBQ'S at my house, anywhere from 80 - 150 people. I have two 40", 1200 watt, glass door models, bought at Cabela's. I've also done food for a couple of friends weddings over the last year. I started years ago, with a 30' model...

I've got pulled pork down to an art with these things and also do ribs, chicken and brisket for my BBQ's. Make some pretty amazing smoked buffalo wings, if I say so myself! Also have my freezer stocked with pastrami and smoked chuck roast (sliced for sammies!). Done a few turkeys also over the last couple of years and you can make a damn good smoked mac and cheese in there too... And, living in the Northwest, I do quite a bit of salmon and steelhead.

I just started using the Amazen pellet and the dust units in these and really like the ease. I can pretty much throw my meat in, set the temp, fire up the tray (either the pellet or dust version) and pretty much call it good for at least 8 hours, if not a full 12 hour smoke.

Last edited:

I do large monthly BBQ'S at my house, anywhere from 80 - 150 people. I have two 40", 1200 watt, glass door models, bought at Cabela's. I've also done food for a couple of friends weddings over the last year. I started years ago, with a 30' model...

I've got pulled pork down to an art with these things and also do ribs, chicken and brisket for my BBQ's. Make some pretty amazing smoked buffalo wings, if I say so myself! Also have my freezer stocked with pastrami and smoked chuck roast (sliced for sammies!). Done a few turkeys also over the last couple of years and you can make a damn good smoked mac and cheese in there too... And, living in the Northwest, I do quite a bit of salmon and steelhead.

I just started using the Amazen pellet and the dust units in these and really like the ease. I can pretty much throw my meat in, set the temp, fire up the tray (either the pellet or dust version) and pretty much call it good for at least 8 hours, if not a full 12 hour smoke.
Welcome Keddy!!

That's the kinda stuff I like hearing!!

Glad it's all working Great for you!!

If you could, stop over at "Roll Call", and introduce yourself so ALL can give you the proper welcome!!

Bear

And in spite of those issues, I sure do like the way they turn out the product!

2 quartered chickens, 3 slabs of baby backs and 3 different kinds of sausage...
I own a MES 30 Gen 1 and I'd confidently put up the meats and cheeses I take out of my smoker against anything coming out of more expensive smokers, stick burners and otherwise. Masterbuilt makes a great little smoker and with the AMNPS and the ET-733  (both of which I use) it takes very little effort to produce great Q.

Looks like you've got it all down!

Productive call with Masterbuilt regarding heating issues... (I meant to post this here, but stuck it in the wrong thread previously)

I have two 40" MES 20070311 all stainless gen 1 smokers from Academy (as well as a pair of AMNPS 5x8's and a Maverick ET-733 w/3' and 6' hybrid probes)

I received one of them as a birthday gift a couple years ago. It worked fine until about 8-9 months ago, when it started tripping the GFIC whenever I plugged it in, sometimes not until I turned it on. A call to Masterbuilt resulted in them telling me to just use a non-GFIC plug...not a real solution, but it worked. The last time I went to use this unit, the temp went to 300 degrees and would not come back down (the cabinet temp, not the controller) without the unit even being turned on, just plugged in...

I bought the second unit at the Academy 'Black Friday' sale last year and until recently, it has been working just fine. A couple weeks ago, it too started tripping the GFIC.

Today, I called Masterbuilt customer service and following a 10 minute phone call to explain what was going on, the rep agreed to send me two new heating elements, with the caveat that if this didn't solve the issue with the older unit, they would follow up with a new digital controller for the unit (with the overheating issue).

Keep in mind that the unit that's overheating is over 2 1/2 years old and Masterbuilt is still willing to send me replacement parts without a hassle.

Granted, I am known to be firm and persistent, without blowing my cool, but they really didn't have to do anything for me, since both units are out of warranty. For those of you with nightmare stories about Masterbuilt's customer service fulfillment, perhaps you might try a little nicer approach to get what you need from them...?

Just my $0.02

(And no, I don't work for Masterbuilt, Academy, or any affiliated company)
Okay...here's the update: I received the two heating elements within a week.

Replaced the heating element in the older MES 40" (see the picture) and the problem was solved. Unit no longer overheats and no longer trips the GFIC...!

I am, once again, a happy Masterbuilt customer!!!

Okay...here's the update: I received the two heating elements within a week.

Replaced the heating element in the older MES 40" (see the picture) and the problem was solved. Unit no longer overheats and no longer trips the GFIC...!

I am, once again, a happy Masterbuilt customer!!!
That's Great, Tim!!

Glad to have you back in action!!
icon14.gif

Bear

That's Great, Tim!!

Glad to have you back in action!!
icon14.gif

Bear
I banged out a couple of 13/14 lb beef briskets over the weekend using the updated unit and it worked like a champ!

BTW- HEB here in South Texas has packer trim beef briskets for $1.77/lb through today. That's the lowest price I've seen in several years...Stock 'em up!

I banged out a couple of 13/14 lb beef briskets over the weekend using the updated unit and it worked like a champ!

BTW- HEB here in South Texas has packer trim beef briskets for $1.77/lb through today. That's the lowest price I've seen in several years...Stock 'em up!
Wow!!!

The cheapest I ever saw around here for a Packer was $1.98-LB at WallyWorld, and that was 6 years ago!!

My stores usually only have Flats for $5 to $8 LB.

Bear

I had trouble with my New MES 40" Smoker right off the get go Call service and they had a complete unit where chips go. It was blowing smoke out the side where you put chips in.

Glad they took care of you, I was told there service was great.

Wow!!!

The cheapest I ever saw around here for a Packer was $1.98-LB at WallyWorld, and that was 6 years ago!!

My stores usually only have Flats for $5 to $8 LB.

Bear
Gotta love South Texas, where beef brisket IS BBQ! I've been complaining about $3.00-4,00/lb + prices for a while now...$5.00-8.00/lb would likely make me faint! 
49.gif

The local Kroger store has baby backs and St Louis style pork ribs for $1.88/lb through today as well...

Later,

BigTim

I own a MES 30 Gen 1 and I'd confidently put up the meats and cheeses I take out of my smoker against anything coming out of more expensive smokers, stick burners and otherwise. Masterbuilt makes a great little smoker and with the AMNPS and the ET-733  (both of which I use) it takes very little effort to produce great Q.

Looks like you've got it all down!
Sounds like you and I are running very similar setups, Rick... Keep on smokin'! 

Sounds like you and I are running very similar setups, Rick... Keep on smokin'! 
You too--especially at those great prices. Can't match them here in Washington state. As for Kroger baby backs, I bought a couple of their Moist & Tender brand baby backs but they add a saline solution to it which makes it too salty for my tastes--and I'm also paying for that solution instead of it being all pork. For baby backs we have a Safeway in our area and they don't add anything to their pork products. But then again they sell their baby backs for $3.99/lb.

Thanks Tim for the welcome! Any specific mods/forums I should be looking at? Going to season and take it on its maiden voyage for dinner, have a few chicken cutlets and a pork tenderloin.
You're in the right place! If you have any specific questions/concerns, all the posts are searchable...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky