How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

40" Stainless Windowed. Bought a virgin returned unit that was missing the controller. Good customer service at MES, got the controller in a few days. I'm smoking with AMNPS with less than $150 in total expenditures. I'm tickled pink, but the stainless part was a mistake. Looks sharp, but a bugger to keep looking sharp. I like the window, because it cuts down on the number of times I open the smoker just to peek. It doesn't accomplish much more than that.
See below:

I agree that the Stainless Steel is a pain to clean, but it does look nice. I also like seeing the smoke in the chamber.
Exactly---Both good reasons for liking the window.

I like to see if it's in my range of smoke density---From nearly nothing to what I call Medium. I can see that through the glass, but I can't take a Picture of it.

Bear

See below:

Exactly---Both good reasons for liking the window.

I like to see if it's in my range of smoke density---From nearly nothing to what I call Medium. I can see that through the glass, but I can't take a Picture of it.

Bear
Bear, I'd love to see a pic of what you call Medium smoke.  As a noob, I will eventually figure out TBS and what the right amount of smoke is but I'm learning as we go!

Bear, I'd love to see a pic of what you call Medium smoke.  As a noob, I will eventually figure out TBS and what the right amount of smoke is but I'm learning as we go!
Like I said, I can't take a good pic of it. The glass reflects too much, and if I open the door it blows away. I'll just say no heavier than being very cloudy inside, but still easy to see everything inside the smoker. If I run into a pic like that I'll post it.

Bear

Im bout where Bear is at. Med smoke growth on the glass just enuff to see inside. And it makes for a good insulation. I will get a pic tomorrow.

He is a wise ol bear.....EH

Like I said, I can't take a good pic of it. The glass reflects too much, and if I open the door it blows away. I'll just say no heavier than being very cloudy inside, but still easy to see everything inside the smoker. If I run into a pic like that I'll post it.

Bear
This is the key. If you can no longer see the food in the smoker than it is probably too heavy.

This is the key. If you can no longer see the food in the smoker than it is probably too heavy.
Yup---My theory---"If I can't see it, I probably won't want to eat it".

That's one of the things I like about the AMNPS----AS long as I only light one end, so far it has never put out smoke too thick for my taste.

Bear

Last edited:

Yup---My theory---"If I can't see it, I probably won't want to eat it".

That's one of the things I like about the AMNPS----AS long as I only light one end, so far it has never put out smoke too thick for my taste.

Bear
Funny story. A few weekends ago I got a little over zealous with my torch and accidentally lit the middle row too (and didn't realize it at first). The middle row then started burning in both directions. When I went to check it an hour after I started it was billowing smoke like crazy. I pulled the AMNPS out of the mailbox and all rows were burning! I guess I have the opposite problem as most people can't keep theirs lit. 

Funny story. A few weekends ago I got a little over zealous with my torch and accidentally lit the middle row too (and didn't realize it at first). The middle row then started burning in both directions. When I went to check it an hour after I started it was billowing smoke like crazy. I pulled the AMNPS out of the mailbox and all rows were burning! I guess I have the opposite problem as most people can't keep theirs lit. 
LOL----And when you really get that sucker going, it's like a runaway Freight Train!!

Before Todd invented the AMNPS, all we had was his AMNS with Dust, but it could have a problem after 200° & even more chance after 220°.

I got one for my Son, and he said it was completely burned out in less than 1 hour!!! He was smoking at 250°, and the cherry spread in all directions.

That was why Todd came up with those special interior walls & burning pellets. It works Great to at least 275°.

Bear

Thank you for the kind words. Yes 185 was a bit early. However being pressed for time I didnt have time to continue. However they came out great. Could have used more of a "Smoke Bark" to them. But everyone enjoyed them so it was a win.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely look at that thread.
Did it pull apart easily or was there considerable "tug" to it? Glad it tasted great. The reason to let it cook up to over 200° I/T is to get all the fat fully rendered down and the meat as moist and tender as possible. I had a problem last year with smoking a "chucky" (boneless chuck roast) to 200°. The highest I could get after two days was to about what you got and the meat was still a little tough in places.

Last edited:
my best q view through the glass has been in the dark with the MES light turned on. Everything looks red, though.

Productive call with Masterbuilt regarding heating issues... (I meant to post this here, but stuck it in the wrong thread previously)

I have two 40" MES 20070311 all stainless gen 1 smokers from Academy (as well as a pair of AMNPS 5x8's and a Maverick ET-733 w/3' and 6' hybrid probes)

I received one of them as a birthday gift a couple years ago. It worked fine until about 8-9 months ago, when it started tripping the GFIC whenever I plugged it in, sometimes not until I turned it on. A call to Masterbuilt resulted in them telling me to just use a non-GFIC plug...not a real solution, but it worked. The last time I went to use this unit, the temp went to 300 degrees and would not come back down (the cabinet temp, not the controller) without the unit even being turned on, just plugged in...

I bought the second unit at the Academy 'Black Friday' sale last year and until recently, it has been working just fine. A couple weeks ago, it too started tripping the GFIC.

Today, I called Masterbuilt customer service and following a 10 minute phone call to explain what was going on, the rep agreed to send me two new heating elements, with the caveat that if this didn't solve the issue with the older unit, they would follow up with a new digital controller for the unit (with the overheating issue).

Keep in mind that the unit that's overheating is over 2 1/2 years old and Masterbuilt is still willing to send me replacement parts without a hassle.

Granted, I am known to be firm and persistent, without blowing my cool, but they really didn't have to do anything for me, since both units are out of warranty. For those of you with nightmare stories about Masterbuilt's customer service fulfillment, perhaps you might try a little nicer approach to get what you need from them...?

Just my $0.02

(And no, I don't work for Masterbuilt, Academy, or any affiliated company)

Brand new MES owner at least I think, I purchased the Master built Sportsman Elite Bass Pro version, same as others or am I in wrong thread. If I am in the correct group, haven't even seasoned it yet but cannot wait!

Productive call with Masterbuilt regarding heating issues... (I meant to post this here, but stuck it in the wrong thread previously)

I have two 40" MES 20070311 all stainless gen 1 smokers from Academy (as well as a pair of AMNPS 5x8's and a Maverick ET-733 w/3' and 6' hybrid probes)

I received one of them as a birthday gift a couple years ago. It worked fine until about 8-9 months ago, when it started tripping the GFIC whenever I plugged it in, sometimes not until I turned it on. A call to Masterbuilt resulted in them telling me to just use a non-GFIC plug...not a real solution, but it worked. The last time I went to use this unit, the temp went to 300 degrees and would not come back down (the cabinet temp, not the controller) without the unit even being turned on, just plugged in...

I bought the second unit at the Academy 'Black Friday' sale last year and until recently, it has been working just fine. A couple weeks ago, it too started tripping the GFIC.

Today, I called Masterbuilt customer service and following a 10 minute phone call to explain what was going on, the rep agreed to send me two new heating elements, with the caveat that if this didn't solve the issue with the older unit, they would follow up with a new digital controller for the unit (with the overheating issue).

Keep in mind that the unit that's overheating is over 2 1/2 years old and Masterbuilt is still willing to send me replacement parts without a hassle.

Granted, I am known to be firm and persistent, without blowing my cool, but they really didn't have to do anything for me, since both units are out of warranty. For those of you with nightmare stories about Masterbuilt's customer service fulfillment, perhaps you might try a little nicer approach to get what you need from them...?

Just my $0.02

That is good to hear.

Brand new MES owner at least I think, I purchased the Master built Sportsman Elite Bass Pro version, same as others or am I in wrong thread. If I am in the correct group, haven't even seasoned it yet but cannot wait!
Yessir! You're in the right place and welcome to the group!

Just my $0.02

Thanks Tim!!

I've heard quite a few similar stories about MB taking care of things long after Warranties were exhausted. 

Proves they do care about their name.
icon14.gif

Bear

Thanks Tim!!

I've heard quite a few similar stories about MB taking care of things long after Warranties were exhausted. 

Proves they do care about their name.
icon14.gif

Bear
Hey Bear...
I've heard some horror stories as well, but my own experience has been positive up to this point. I had them send me the chip loader 'upgrade' for both of the smokers post-purchase and they fulfilled those requests with nothing more than a phone call...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky