How Many Mes Owners Here?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which One Do You Have?

• 40'

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40' with window

• 40' 800 watt

• I like it a lot

• Where did you buy it?

• Sams Club

• Other please list where in a post

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What about using one of those foil trays?   Would that disrupt the air flow?    
No problem, as long as you don't cover the whole thing. You can even use two pans on one shelf, as long as there is space between them & an inch or more around the outside.

MES main reason to mention not to foil is so people don't cover their shelves completely to avoid cleaning, and in the process block air flow.

Bear

I have smoked turkey, ribs, pork butt in mine.  We got it from QVC and I used it to do the Thanksgiving turkey.  My wife was kinda nervous since this was kind of a make-it or break-it and betting the dinner on a "first time" experiment.  I brined it overnight with the brine recipe in the MES cookbook and it was a major success!  Everything has turned out great.  I like it because it keeps a constant temperature and I have a remote meat thermometer to tell me when it gets up to temp.  The only thing I have to do is check the water and chips every now and then.  Have recommended it to a lot of others.

I just retired my MES 40 Window Smoker.  The heating element went out after less than a year of smoking no more than 2 times in any month.  So if my math is correct it lasted less than 24 smokings or 120 hours.  I just bought another brand of electric smoker.  I will be breaking it in today and will start smoking tomorrow for the 4th of July.  There is still a chance that I may try and fix the MES but after reading how to do it but probably not.

I agree with BigTim.  I've had great luck with the customer service ladies at MB. Heck my smoker has been out of warranty for a long time.  When one of the LEDs went out in the control head I contacted them to purchase the part.  They insisted to send it for free. 

Last year They sent me the larger wood tray mod for free as well.  I have read that others have had their issues.  But they treated me better than I could of asked.  Tommy, it is worth a call to them. Brian

given a reasonably good product, good customer service is priceless. things wear out, break and fail prematurely on the best of products, but I stand by those who stand by their product.

MES ordered from SAMs arrived with the bottom caved in. i returned it to local Sams club which do not carry the smoker. i drove 45 min to pick up a new one and got home opened the box and the door was dented and the plastic piece that holds the controller broken. I called MB they sent parts. Customer service is amazing absolutely friendly and helpful! I received a controller not the plastic piece and a very dented door. I called MB and the sent out another shipment with the right part and a new door arrived not perfect but good enough. I just wanted my smoker. Meanwhile I found a MB cold smoke adapter kit and purchased it. I tried to cold smoke some steaks one day and the cold smoke kit kept popping the circuit breaker I rewired it with heavier gauge wire and good connectors. all was good steaks were amazing. Did a pork shoulder 8 hrs using the smoke kit for continuous smoke and it was amazing. Second time to use the smoker and the meat temp probe quit. I had to return the unit as the temp prob is not replaceable. I drove 45 min to SAMs got another drove home and when I opened the box my new smoker was dented so I am returning it and gonna get something else. I have a friend has one his works great and he loves it. Good luck! I'm out!

Last edited:
MES ordered from SAMs arrived with the bottom caved in. i returned it to local Sams club which do not carry the smoker. i drove 45 min to pick up a new one and got home opened the box and the door was dented and the plastic piece that holds the controller broken. I called MB they sent parts. Customer service is amazing absolutely friendly and helpful! I received a controller not the plastic piece and a very dented door. I called MB and the sent out another shipment with the right part and a new door arrived not perfect but good enough. I just wanted my smoker. Meanwhile I found a MB cold smoke adapter kit and purchased it. I tried to cold smoke some steaks one day and the cold smoke kit kept popping the circuit breaker I rewired it with heavier gauge wire and good connectors. all was good steaks were amazing. Did a pork shoulder 8 hrs using the smoke kit for continuous smoke and it was amazing. Second time to use the smoker and the meat temp probe quit. I had to return the unit as the temp prob is not replaceable. I drove 45 min to SAMs got another drove home and when I opened the box my new smoker was dented so I am returning it and gonna get something else. I have a friend has one his works great and he loves it. Good luck! I'm out!
Sam's might be a bunch of Hacks.

Try Cabela's---We bought 3 MES from them so far, and none were damaged.

I think there are 2 Cabela's stores in WV.

Bear

Last edited:
You might be right but I think I'm gonna throw a few more dollars at it and get a little thicker metal and a a little less complex of a controller. As a pilot I know the simpler the system the more reliable it is! I like separate components as well not everything integrated into one so if something fails you can replace it not the whole unit. Don't get me wrong the MES is a great idea!

Just picked up a 30" MES with remote on Saturday. I had ordered an AMNPS for it as well. Conditioned it on Sunday and did my first pork loin on Canada Day.  It was fantastic. My wife was reluctant about the purchase but not after we had the most tender pork loin we've ever eaten!  Next time I'll take some pictures. I said we'd use it about once a month, but my boys thought we should use it more often than that.

I modified a rub I found on the site and made up two different BBQ sauces.

Now, what to experiment on next.

Bob

Just picked up a 30" MES with remote on Saturday. I had ordered an AMNPS for it as well. Conditioned it on Sunday and did my first pork loin on Canada Day.  It was fantastic. My wife was reluctant about the purchase but not after we had the most tender pork loin we've ever eaten!  Next time I'll take some pictures. I said we'd use it about once a month, but my boys thought we should use it more often than that.

I modified a rub I found on the site and made up two different BBQ sauces.

Now, what to experiment on next.

Bob

sausage.gif
sausage.gif
icon14.gif

Bear

Bob

Happy to read that your first MES smoke was a winner! These are great machines in my opinion.  

Brian

smilie_flagge13.gif

Your [color= rgb(35, 35, 35)]freedom is brought to you courtesy of the outstanding Men and Women who serve and have served this country with honor, dedication, pride and sacrifice![/color]

I picked up a 40" from amazon a week or two ago. Being my first smoker, it's convenient, however, I'm still trying to figure out the kinks. If I follow cooking times, temperatures etc down to the second I'm still ending up with somewhat dried out meat. But it's something good to learn on, in my opinion and I'm glad I purchased it. With a full time job and working towards a masters I don't have time to watch a grill for hours and with the MES I don't have to. I picked mine up at Amazon, best price, free shipping etc.

I picked up a 40" from amazon a week or two ago. Being my first smoker, it's convenient, however, I'm still trying to figure out the kinks. If I follow cooking times, temperatures etc down to the second I'm still ending up with somewhat dried out meat. But it's something good to learn on, in my opinion and I'm glad I purchased it. With a full time job and working towards a masters I don't have time to watch a grill for hours and with the MES I don't have to. I picked mine up at Amazon, best price, free shipping etc.

Get a digital remote therm, like a Maverick "ET-732".

Your MES is probably hotter than you think, especially the right side.

Bear

What Bear said. When I finally broke down and bought the maverick remote unit I found my smoker thermometer was about 5 to 8 degrees off.  But the built in meat probe as pretty good as it was only 4 degrees off from what the maverick would read.  

Great accessory for not a lot of money. Brian

Bear

Amazin Pellet Smoker is on the way.  Hope is arrives today for tomorrows pork butt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky