1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How many briskets...

Discussion in 'WSM Owners (Weber Smokey Mountain)' started by Andivory, May 7, 2019.

1. Andivory

Andivory Newbie

I'm thinking about purchasing the 18.5 version, would I be able to squeeze 2 briskets onto 1 grate? TIA

2. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Most likely not.

3. lemans

lemans Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

No unless they are 5 lbs each and then why bother? Buy the 22.5 go big or go home..

4. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've never tried to put two packers on one grate of my 22.5". If shopped with that in mind though, two might fit. I've seen packers that are thicker and more narrow. I tend to buy wider packers, and two of those definitely wouldn't fit on one grate.

5. jokensmoken

jokensmoken Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

You might get a couple flats on one grate but not whole packers.
    One decent sized packer (16 lb) range is a squeeze...that's why I upgraded to a 22...

6. krj

krj Meat Mopper

Just pick up the 22" because almost any packer that's over 12lbs you're gonna be lucky to fit on the 18. Will you be able to fit 2 packers on one grate in a 22, unlikely, but it's a helluva lot more likely than two on the 18.

jokensmoken likes this.
  7. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

With a few pieces of all thread rod a few nuts and washers and a smaller diameter grate can make a second tier. I've done a brisket and a pork shoulder on my large BGE. Brisket on the main 18" rack and then adjust the all thread legs so the 16" is about 1/2" above the top of the brisket. Shoulder goe on the upper rack then low and slow as you normally do.

The pork fat dripping over the brisket as they render out is an added bonus.

8. jokensmoken

jokensmoken Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I'll say again... ONE full packer (per grate) on my 18" was a squeeze...
    I've had outstanding results on the WSM 18 with ONE brisket but there is NO WAY two packers will fit on one rack...
    If any of you know different PLEASE (no pun intended) tell me how ibecause I love my WSM 18 and would be thrilled beyond belief if there is a technique I've not heard of.
    Walt

9. I'm with the popular opinion. My 18 can only handle one brisket per grate.

10. lemans

lemans Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

One per grate if you need to do 4 at a time buy a 22