How long will I survive without?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jp61

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 6, 2011
NE Ohio
Yesterday I made the phone call and canceled my cable TV service. I'm 50yrs old and never been without it since cable TV came into existence. This move will save me around $80/month. The local channels will just have to do. This way I will hopefully spend the rest of my time here on earth a little more productively and with a bit more cash in my pocket. Anyone else ditch the cable or dish?

Last edited:
I would like to go back to basic television. I hope it all goes well for you, I noticed after getting married I don't watch much TV, unless its football season.

Shoot, I'm 24 and haven't paid for cable in upwards of two or three years!  Netflix and Hulu (combined cost like $15.xx a month) give me plenty of things to watch without the $75-$100 price tag that comes with Mediacom, Dish, or DirectTV!

Yes, I had to edit because I said I was 25 and I'm only 24 - long work day ahead!

Last edited:
We got rid of digital cable a year ago and haven't missed it all that much. When I start to think about the shows I miss, I also can't justify the extra $120/month just to watch them. We did add Netflix so we weren't trapped by our local stations.

I dropped Direct TV last month and installed an antenna.  We also ordered TiVO so we still have the capability to have a DVR to record all of the shows we like to watch.. We also subscribed to Hulu Plus.  Total cost before: $110 month.  Total cost now $28.00 month.  I miss some shows but if you have you have the internet I can still see 80% of what we used to watch.  The $80 a month savings will sure come in handy!  The bonus was that the pictures are crystal clear!

I would like to go back to basic television. I hope it all goes well for you, I noticed after getting married I don't watch much TV, unless its football season.
I will be watching the Cleveland Browns this coming season just like any other year. It's on a local channel if the game is sold out. The Indians games I'll have to listen to on the radio since most of their games are on cable. I really didn't watch that much TV to begin with the last few years so it shouldn't be too hard to get use to. Meanwhile I'll be doing more smoking, buying new toys or both 
biggrin.gif

I'm 51, and I've been thinking about this also. My Comcast bill is about $116 a month. That includes basic cable and high-speed internet. Dropping the TV would only cut my bill in half, and we would lose the local channels too. Putting up an antenna is not practical where I live, and I don't know if our local stations even broadcast over the air anymore. Comcast has made sure it's the only game in town. They gotcha coming and going.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a digital antenna and he gets all the local channels plus about 12 more.

No, I haven't ditched it yet; but I have thought long and hard about doing so.  The value for money spent is probably the worst in our household budget.  I thought about just putting up and antenna which would give us local broadcasts by abc, cbs, nbc; but their programming is atrocious.  Their on air personalities would have passed for idiots in the early days of TV.  Each is dumber than a whole train load of rocks combined - and I include their leading news personalities.  It insults my intelligence too much; so I turn them off.  If I could get History, NGS, FOX, and TMC over the air, I would have unloaded a long time ago.  Netflix and a couple of Roku's are doing much to relieve our dependence on cable.  We live in tornado alley and depend on the local TV meteorologists to keep us informed.  It used to be that the National Weather Service did that (or tried to) but like everything else from government the service is disappearing but the costs remain.

I REALLY get upset when I contemplate how much money Time Warner makes.  Their average monthly ake in my community is probably $100 per household served, and they have most of the business because of their broadband ISP service.  The satellite providers probably do even better in terms of return on investment.  What bothers me most about TW is that they are vertically integrated owning and operating every aspect of the delivery channel.  If the total cost efficiency were passed as savings to consumers, I wouldn't mind over much; but what really bothers me is that they control every aspect of the information delivered.  AND, their control is evident in the bias they support in choosing content.  Mind control might not be their end game, but they sure as Hell can limit what you know and when you know it.  People can remain free only as long as they have unrestricted access to information.  When that access is biased and cannot be refuted in the same channels when it is wrong, there is much to be concerned about.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me. 

If I dropped Directv the BF's head would explode and I wouldn't miss the tv at all! I don't watch much of it at all, mostly maybe 3 hrs a day and lots of times I'm still doing something else.  Up here we can't get the local channels without cable or satellite.

We dumped comcast cable and just have local and 13 channels. I aint missing all the cr@p on tv with the reality junk.

We just have the high speed internet and our bill went from $149 to $69.99

Last edited:
We dumped Time Warner Cable a little over a year ago, then put up a small antenna, bought a Tivo, added Netflix and Hulu. I haven't missed TWC a single minute since we made the change. We now watch pretty much what we want when we want, and the quality of the video is far superior. We also pocket about 3/4 of what we paid for cable every month.

I haven't turned on the TV all day, so I'd say I'm starting to get use to it and when my bill shows up (internet is still on it) that will probably confirm that this was a good idea for me.

HeHe  I'm a junkie,   Discovery channel, the news channels, History channel, ESPN during football season, The Big Bang Theory,  Star Trek and it's offspring reruns.  I watched a Frank Sinatra movie made in the 50's for the first time this afternoon.

Gee, if I gave up TV I'd have to talk to my wife in the evening!

I'm 51, and I've been thinking about this also. My Comcast bill is about $116 a month. That includes basic cable and high-speed internet. Dropping the TV would only cut my bill in half, and we would lose the local channels too. Putting up an antenna is not practical where I live, and I don't know if our local stations even broadcast over the air anymore. Comcast has made sure it's the only game in town. They gotcha coming and going.
I had/have comcast and had TV/Phone/Internet for about 150 a month.  Dropped the TV and the phone as we have cells.  In searching how to steal cable (live in a signal shadow) I found out they can't shut off the first 22 channels on the line.  So got a splitter and ran a line to the TV and to the modem.  I get all my local channels plus some crap.  Roku for movies and some interesting TV.  With a netflix subscription total bill is 76 bucks a month.  

Caveat... this will usually only work if you take your TV box; remotes; etc to the local cable office.  If they send a tech to you house to pick it up; they'll likely put a block on you line. A little google foo will tell you how to remove that tho

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky