How do you get the internet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've had some problems getting on the internet if you care to read my rant here's the link
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/forced-hiatus.318126/
It's gotten me wondering how do you get the internet? Phone line? Cable tv line? Use your cell phone? Cellular modem? Satellite?
How do you get it I've heard about Starlink do any of you actually have it? Hughes net? If you have a Cellular modem what company and how well does it work?
We live in a very rural area and don't have a lot of choices so it's got me wondering how others get service

I am on cable but I'm in a big city... though I'm in basically a weird little cellular gap for my cell service but I have a solution for that come the holiday sales weekend lol.

Here's a bunch of info so you can consider all your potential options and understand the differences. This is generalized so someone who specializes in any/each of these areas may have more precise info for you but this should lead you down the correct path to begin with or to make a decision based on your circumstances :)

General Info:
Think of your options as like a pipe. The size of the pipe will greatly dictate how much internet can get through (limitations of how fast and how much data)
  • Satellite Internetis often the weakest option meaning the smallest "pipe". Could this be different with different satellite offerings sure, but the technology in general = smaller'ist pipe of your options lol
    • Hughes Net - pure trash. They cost an arm and a leg and they have TOTAL LIMITS of data that are not feasible. No real service today over a line will give you a limit that you would have to dance around if at all. I know a guy who had it, he jumped ship for Verizon's new Cell Wifi technology which worked 10x better for him
  • Phone Line Internet is often 2nd or 3rd weakest option. This can vary based on how new/old your phone lines are. In general lets assume regular plain old phone lines, you will not be able to get enough data over that "pipe" to be worth a darn. My parents have this in their small town and their phone lines have not been updated since the 80's so data is coming over a copper line built for telephone data/voice transfer.
    • Newer line can send more but again its a crap shoot and each place is different so your mileage may vary. General rule of thumb is to use a later "pipe" of technology like the options named next
  • Cell Home Broadband Options are something very new. Verizon offers it for sure because the guy I know that tried HughesNet switched to this service. If you have 4g cell coverage at your location than this is an option for you.
    They work similarly to how your phone works but are customized to work more for a home than a small portable cell phone. My understanding is that the cell towers now have seperate equipment optimized to provide this service. You are issued a "box" you hook up at home that communicates to the cell tower hardware and boom you are in business. This tech is long overdue as the concept is not new at all because it already happens with cell phones BUT cell phones are not home computers therefore they don't have the stronger tech requirements needed for really heavy broadband support.
    This option may be really good for youto look into if you have good 4g coverage and no other options AND your provider or a provider in your area has the offering
    • Cell Phone Hotspot or Data Cards (Honorable Mentions) - if you don't have a cell provider around that offers straight home broadband then this might be an option to limp by on but they don't come with very good unlimited data plans. You can get unlimited data but they will slow it down on you, on an already not so fast "pipe".
      The cell phone hotspot works by allowing your phone to turn into a wifi broadcaster with its current cell signal and you connect your computer to it over wifi. It's simply sharing the connection so if your phone has decent 4g coverage then you can rely on this for mostly things like internet surfing, email, etc but no video or audio services like netflix of spotify or radio over internet.
      The data card is a bit more tailored to computer use and is similar to the home broadband idea but a smaller pipe. It needs it's own plan just like home broadband will BUT the technology is a smaller pipe and data plan is closer to your phone's data plan than anything else, not really tailored for home usage.
      These are options if nothing else coming up works and you dont like or don't have the options already mentioned.
  • Cable Internet should be considerably better than any option mentioned so far. It is simply a bigger "pipe" since it had to run video and audio over it's cables so the cables were built to transfer considerable data where phone lines are not (they do phone calls) and satellites are very specific "use", resource restricted, and beam from space.
    THIS will very very likely be your best option if you have cable already in a rural area.
  • Fiber Optic/FIOS is going to be the best option available for the average Joe if it is available. The "pipe" is massive compared to all other options mentioned so far. This is the big daddy and nothing stands close to it should you simply want fast interneat and or require intensive data transfer up/down.
We can talk about MB (megabyte) transfer rates per second for each of these but that starts getting into specifics when I'm not sure that is needed quite yet. In general if you want to watch Netflix you need approximately 15-25MB per second data coming down.
Upload speed isn't too much of an issue but if you are wanting to be an online streamer then we can discuss how much MB you would look for going up :)

Hope this info helps :)

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Satellite internet is all that I have available at this point. Have had hughes net and viasat both. Viasat is the best one. This coming spring, I am suppose to be getting 1g up and 1g down fiber through my utility company.

Satellite internet is all that I have available at this point. Have had hughes net and viasat both. Viasat is the best one. This coming spring, I am suppose to be getting 1g up and 1g down fiber through my utility company.
I hope that fiber comes through quick for ya :D

I hope that fiber comes through quick for ya :D
Agreed! I was very happy our new house had cable internet avail. I looked in to all the other options and they cost a lot for very little speed That is disrupted by just about anything but a calm windless day.

Reactions: tallbm
How much you're paying for that?
Don't remember for sure...it's internet and cable TV package, don't actually have a land line phone anymore. Not cheap by any means, but nothing is when ya live in the country.

At home the only option we have is satellite internet. Out here in the bush land of the Alberta foothills we have VERY limited cell service--most of the time, basically none.. The internet is kinda slow but the best we can get.
When I go north for a winter in the log haul camp, I rely totally on USB tethering--cell phone to laptop. I just cut down a 25 to 30 foot pecker pole, attach my cell phone booster to it and then stand up my "antenna". In addition to good cell service,that gives me plenty of available internet to get email and more than enough to watch Netflix. Thank God for that or the nights would be VERY LONG.
My closest neighbor back home has Starlink. He has nothing but raves to say about it. it's pricey, but very good. I'm looking into it for our house.
Gary

I too am out in the sticks with no cable or fiber or natural gas or....

My internet comes from a 5.8GHz radio link to a mountaintop site 24km away. I helped build it about 12 years ago and have upgraded it several times. We are now up to a pretty steady 20Mbps up/down and very reliable.

cheers

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky