How long can a cryo packaged brisket be wet aged?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
I have read where some on this site wet age their briskets 30 days or so. I have done so a couple times in the past. I have one in my fridge that is going on 40+ days do to weekends getting booked up. Wondering if it is still good, and if so, how much longer do I dare wait?

Plan at this time to start smoking it friday night.

Wet aging typically lasts from 30 to 45 days. I think you could go up to 60 days without issues assuming that the cryovac packaging has not been compromised. Even so, other variables could affect the max of time and remain safe such as average temperature of refrigerator (should be 35 to 38) as well as any temperature spikes, etc.

NOTE: the 30 to 45 days is from the day of packaging, NOT the date you bought it. The package date may or may not be printed on the packaging. If not, I would opt for a shorter time frame.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge, but what does wet aging accomplish?

Chris

Reactions: RickNessly
A post by JJ on cry-vac storage....

Way too many variables to put a Use By or Die date on food. Assuming the Grocery store handled the product right...How quick did You get it in the refer. Are you 30 minutes from the store or 2 hours? Is your refer running properly at 38° or less? Has the product be opened? A cryovac sealed cut of pork meat, pork tender, can last 2 weeks past the Sell By and 7-10 days past Use By. A trimmed pork steak of a foam tray has 3 days past sell by before it gets funky. Is the refer qrequently opened and the kids stare in for 20 minutes then whine there is nothing to eat. Or, is the refer only opened a short time and perishable items are on the back of the bottom shelf, coldest place? An unopened gallon of milk will easily last a week past the Use By Date. But, that milk you chug out of the bottle, when no one looking, has 3 days, maybe.
Best plan is to Forget the Dates! Don't buy more perisable foods than you will use in 7 days. If there is a crazy sale on Trimmed and wrapped Butts, freeze what you won't use in 3 days. Cryovac Butts, you got 7-10 days to use or freeze...JJ

Wondering if you mean you cured this and repackaged in vac pack or if this is the store package?
Dave has a lot of points here if you go forward proceed with caution. The nose knows.

Warren

I bought the brisket at Costco. I bought it 3-4 days after the listed packaging date and I was in the fridge in about a half hour. The fridge sits in the basement and might get opened a couple times a week or when I flip the brisket

Thanks Dave. The above is for pork. Beef can go longer. You can go 45-60 days past the pack date. This is at temps between 32 and 38, obviously the lower the temp the longer you can go. Example, between 28 and 32. 70 to 80 days is possible....JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky