How casings were a big chewy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mummel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Massachusetts
I grilled some pork/beef sausages on an open wood fire the other night.  Used natural hog casings.  The meat came out great (took them to 165F), but the casings were a little chewy.  I prefer them more brittle (maybe not the right word), but where they break apart easily when you bite them.

Ideas?  Cook them hotter?  165F seems perfect for internal temps but does that result in chewy casings?

??Don't know for sure - I take it these were home made snausages? Just open flame lost some moisture content. 

DS

I thought the heat makes the casings more brittle/biteable?  The meat was plenty moist and soft/tender, but the hog casings here a bit chewy.  Any ideas guys?

Last edited:
Sometimes the casings are just tough/thicker then usual.
But under stuffing the sausage will make them hard to bite through as will cooking them with to high a heat.

Last edited:
According to Aaron Franklin's sausage episode...With hot smoked sausages, a crisp casing requires a bit of a dance. The goal is a fire hot enough to dry the outside of the casing, slowly cook the meat and melt and heat enough fat to fry the interior of the casing. Too cold and the fat doesn't fry the casing and the skin is tough. Too hot a fire and the casing dries long before the meat cooks and the expanding meat and juices blows the casing apart. This manner of getting the desired casing would apply to grilled sausage as well...JJ

Note: In the episode Aaron's demo uses precooked sausage but the principles and timing are valid for raw sausage as well

http://video.klru.tv/video/2365499902/

Last edited:
Great thanks. Can't watch the vid on my phone but what temps does he do them at? I can put them in my smoker next time and have exact control over the temp.

Great thanks. Can't watch the vid on my phone but what temps does he do them at? I can put them in my smoker next time and have exact control over the temp.
He uses 275°F...Basically reheating and adding smoke to precooked poached sausage for the restaurant. No reason no to do fresh, raw sausage, just takes longer...JJ

Cool thanks.  Finally got to watch the vid!  Man Franklin answered my question exactly at 6:10.  Cooked too low = chewy casings.  Cooked too high and the casings pop.  Perfect info.  Just what I needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky