Hot Smoking Mackerel...I'm not getting enough smoke coloring. What am I doing wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

darthtrader

Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
I've been hot smoking mackerel at 170ºF for two hours on a Masterbuilt Vertical Gas Smoker, replenishing the wood halfway through.  I get a nice smoke flavor, but sometimes I don't get any smoke coloring at all like I would when smoking on a WSM.  What could I possibly be doing wrong?  

Thanks in advance, guys.  

icon_cool.gif

Well fish is like red meat sometimes. If it getting the smokey flavor then I wouldn't worry about it. Each piece of meat takes the smoke the way it wants not the way you want it to.

It has been my experience that it takes longer than two hours to get good color on fish & other things.

Bear

It is also important to let the fish dry in cool air until a tacky film (pellicle) form on it, this allows for better smoke adhesion.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky