• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hot Smoking Mackerel...I'm not getting enough smoke coloring. What am I doing wrong?

darthtrader

Joined Oct 6, 2010
I've been hot smoking mackerel at 170ºF for two hours on a Masterbuilt Vertical Gas Smoker, replenishing the wood halfway through.  I get a nice smoke flavor, but sometimes I don't get any smoke coloring at all like I would when smoking on a WSM.  What could I possibly be doing wrong?  

Thanks in advance, guys.  

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Well fish is like red meat sometimes. If it getting the smokey flavor then I wouldn't worry about it. Each piece of meat takes the smoke the way it wants not the way you want it to.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
It has been my experience that it takes longer than two hours to get good color on fish & other things.

Bear

tjohnson

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Insider
Joined Dec 29, 2009
What Bear said.

TJ

baboy

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 8, 2008
It is also important to let the fish dry in cool air until a tacky film (pellicle) form on it, this allows for better smoke adhesion.

raptor700

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 20, 2010
I would do the (above advice) let the fish dry and lower the temp for a longer smoke time.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.