Hot & Fast Brisket... Can it be done?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillmonkey

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
Twin City, GA
I'm doing a brisket this weekend, but I have a lot of things going on. I really don't have a lot of time for smoking, and I shouldn't really even try it, but I have to eat so I was thinking brisket, if it can be done hot and fast.

My questions are:

-  How hot can I do it, and how long per pound?

-  Can it be done and still be tender and moist?

-  What technique?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I plan on doing it in my electric ECB. Max temp will be about 325 degrees with a full water pan and 6 lbs. of brisket. Six to eight hours if I wrap in foil @ 150?

Had some locals in Texas last year that cooked hot & fast for us, they shook their heads at low and slow. Several of our crew thought it was great, I found it a bit chewy and not as tasty. Just my .02

Our local butcher usually has fresh, 4-5lb briskets, not sure why so small but they cook fast at a low temp and taste great

I have done briskets, full packer 16lbs. what I call hot and fast. Marinate over night, place in an aluimium foil pan, cover with foil, cook @ 325 for approx. 45 mins a lb, or about 5 1/2 to 6 hours totall time. Open the foil, set the brisket on the rack above the pan,  pour on the smoke for 30 to 45 mins. Its passible but no true BBQ cook would say that. Its not the best but it is good if your marinate is good and your feeding brisket rookies. Its meat will be tender.

I have done briskets, full packer 16lbs. what I call hot and fast. Marinate over night, place in an aluimium foil pan, cover with foil, cook @ 325 for approx. 45 mins a lb, or about 5 1/2 to 6 hours totall time. Open the foil, set the brisket on the rack above the pan,  pour on the smoke for 30 to 45 mins. Its passible but no true BBQ cook would say that. Its not the best but it is good if your marinate is good and your feeding brisket rookies. Its meat will be tender.
So, 325 degrees on a six pound flat, foiling @ 150 degrees, 8  hours should be more than enough time shouldn't it?

So, 325 degrees on a six pound flat, foiling @ 150 degrees, 8 hours should be more than enough time shouldn't it?
Should be. Honestly, depending on the thickness of the flat, it may be done in as little as 4-5 hours.

I do my briskets at 300 and a 12 lb packer is usually done in 6-7 hours on my UDS.

Sounds good. Look for 
Should be. Honestly, depending on the thickness of the flat, it may be done in as little as 4-5 hours.

I do my briskets at 300 and a 12 lb packer is usually done in 6-7 hours on my UDS.
Sounds good. Starting it Sunday morning. Pics to follow.

So, 325 degrees on a six pound flat, foiling @ 150 degrees, 8 hours should be more than enough time shouldn't it?
I have never done just a piece of a brisket that I can remember. When you cook a 6lb brisket there won't be too much there to eat for me. I nearly always do 12+packer.

Its 30 to 45 mins per pound with a max of say 6 hours.

Still I warm you, it is not going to be the same as a proper cooked brisket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky