Hot Dang, I got my Lang!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capt dan

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 2, 2007
I took the weekend trip to Pa. this week to pick up my Lang 60. Over 1300 miles through the mountains twice, one time in a blinding snowstorm. White knuckle driving at 10 pm.
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

11 1/2 hr drive going, a little over 9 hrs, comming home with my new baby! Man this thing is a tank, and trailers down the road at 70-75 like it was on rails. I am looking forward to firing it up this weekend.Gotta find me some wood!

I'll post a pic in a day or two, when I get time!

Good man capt. Seems once you had it hooked up you were in quite a hurry to get home...cut 2.5 hrs off of you trip...lol

Cant wait too see the lang fired up with her proud new papa.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

The difference was the weather, and I came home during daylight hrs! Snowed or rain the whole way there, and at times I was questioning my sanity!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Thats Great Dan, I hope you like it and look fwd to the Q-Views. Ill see if i can muster up some wood sources for ya.

The Lang was used! The guy bought it from Ben in Aug 07, used it a couple times(it is almost like brand new) and he decided he wanted a bigger cooker for whole hogs and catering, so he bought a meadow creek, a TS250 I think. I looked at it while I was there, it is a nice unit too! quite a bit bigger everything. It is about the size of a Lang 84.

My younger brother lives in Harrisburg, and that was where we stayed for the weekend. The seller was 90 minutes away, and the price was pretty fair!
The warmer has been revised by Lang so that cooking/smoking temps can also be reached in there too! I am looking forward to a new learning curve on this rig. As soon as I do a few fatties and some chixs this weekend to get a bit of a feel for it, I will do the 2 chuck rolls that I have in the fridge. One is 15 lbs, the other is 16.5 lbs.

the comming weeks will hopefully see me sucessfully smoking briskets, turkeys, seafood, jerky and cheese. The warmer will allow me to smoke stuff at a much lower temp, especially cheese, spices, jerky and nuts!

As I learn, I will be asking all my friends here for alot of input. You all have been wonderfully helpfull so far, and I know, I can continue to recieve such great advice.

In the 4 months that I have been here, I have learned alot about Que, recipes and techniques,and all the uses of different smokers. The most important thing I have learned though, there are some real first class folks here,who will share secrets and recipes freely. Offering advice to perfect strangers, in hopes to spread the BBQ goodwill. I am continuing to try to behave in the same manner, and share what I know.It's not alot, but thanks to this site and its members, the knowledge base is growing.

All this boils down to this. I am blaming all of you for making me crazy about smoked food. I would have never thought in a million years that I would drive 675 miles to buy anything, much less a smoker.

Bless you all!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

LOLOL.......true story dan.............once smoking gets in your blood..........you wouldn't BELIEVE what you mite end up doing...........lololol

tho smoking a hogs head, i don't see me doing that............
rolleyes.gif

Ok here's a few pics. Everyone has seen them , mine is really no different. But when I seen other guys pics of their 60's, there's one thing I never got to see. Inside the warmer.

This is where I plan to low smoke cheese, seafood, and nuts and spices.If the menu calls for more meat than the main chamber can hold, I can fit quite a bit in here, or beans, spuds, squash, cooked foods ect.

Just a pic of it opened up, before I shackled her and covered for the storm. Glad the rain washed some road salt off today!

Can't wait to cook in it this weekend!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Looks great, You must be totally excited to cook on that baby! I love the warmer/cooker. Its Awesome!

Hey, That third damper handle near the food shelf---Is that a firebox damper that can shut off the heat and smoke to the main tank? If so, does it have a full open and full closed off position, in other words can you limit your cook to just the warmer chamber?

A pic of that (inside the fire box) would help me a bit with mine, I made up a temporary removable one but haven't the ability to adjust as I think that might be for:-)

Again, congrats,

Steve

Yes steve, it is a control for the flow directly from the firebox. I think they started using that last year. The earlier 60's had the heat and smoke from the end of the cooking chamber only, this one has both. It is two 4 inch ports with butterfly type valve, you can tune it to what ever ya want.You can cook just in the warmer if ya want to!

Cool, so that firebox to main tank damper---it must be shaped like a half circle or something like that? I can't wait to find out the temperatures ranges you have with that warmer and also the different capabilities it will give you once you get playing with it:-) I am sure the rear hole to the hot side of the tank gives you good airflow and more heat too when you want it.

Steve

yes exactly, it is a half circle. Doesn't yours have the same baffle at the fire box to the smoke chamber?

The other handle is another baffle from the smoke chamber near the stack, that leads into the warmer.
The warmer also has 2 vents at the top of the warmer, on the back wall, to let out smoke, or help circulate the smoke through the foods. They are shaped like the air inlets on the sides of the firebox, but a little smaller in size.

Steve, If you want me to send ya some pics, I can, just pm me with your email addy, and specify what ya want to see from what angle. You have been a big help to me, its the least I can do for you!
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky