Horseradish----homemade and fresh ground---warning about the lingering HR taste in the FP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good day Dave

it looks great my father got me in to grinding it on a grater 
biggrin.gif
 wow it is hot .my dad use to put a tbsp of sugar in the mix it brings  a great flavor and added the vinegar the next day .

Good day Dave

it looks great my father got me in to grinding it on a grater 
biggrin.gif
 wow it is hot .my dad use to put a tbsp of sugar in the mix it brings  a great flavor and added the vinegar the next day .
Ahron, morning... He waited a whole day to add vinegar !!! WOW !!! Just how hot was it ???

I dug about 10% of the roots and have plenty left to dig again... I may just have to try that method... I think I am going to try pickled beet juice too... In memory of "uncle Nathan"....

PS.. got any pics of SEMA to share ??? 

Thanks Dave,

there is a guy down the road selling half wine barrels, I think I will snag one of those for the project.

Thanks Dave,

there is a guy down the road selling half wine barrels, I think I will snag one of those for the project.
Good choice... be sure to raise the half barrel about 4" off the ground... that should keep the roots from working their way through the cracks into your soil and infesting your place with the "demon" root....
biggrin.gif

Thanks Dave,

Ahron, morning... He waited a whole day to add vinegar !!! WOW !!! Just how hot was it ???

I dug about 10% of the roots and have plenty left to dig again... I may just have to try that method... I think I am going to try pickled beet juice too... In memory of "uncle Nathan"....

PS.. got any pics of SEMA to share ??? 

Yes i will post few in a day or two

A word of warning.... Bride used the food processor to mix up some concoction to add to something she was making and it tasted like horseradish..... She and I rewashed the bowl many times... it still smells like HR and she ordered a new bowl.... I now have a dedicated bowl for the FP just for HR... Am I lucky she could find a replacement bowl ??? YES...

Dave is not in trouble now....
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
A word of warning.... Bride used the food processor to mix up some concoction to add to something she was making and it tasted like horseradish..... She and I rewashed the bowl many times... it still smells like HR and she ordered a new bowl.... I now have a dedicated bowl for the FP just for HR... Am I lucky she could find a replacement bowl ??? YES...

biggrin.gif

Good info----I would never have expected that.

Thanks Dave,

Bear

biggrin.gif
Interesting...I have an old Hamilton Beach FP that I process Onions, Garlic, and Horse Radish with out having any lingering flavors left...I wonder if the Type of Plastic matters...JJ

Interesting...I have an old Hamilton Beach FP that I process Onions, Garlic, and Horse Radish with out having any lingering flavors left...I wonder if the Type of Plastic matters...JJ
JJ, morning...... The food processor is an older Kitch..Aid.... The bowl has scratches in the sides after many years of use... it is scratched to the point of looking frosted and maybe the scratches have contributed greatly to the carry-over of the intense HR odor and flavor....

Anyway.....  I nave a new dedicated piece of my own kitchen equipment.... seems not too long ago I was getting heat for the smoker on the back porch... the new grinder in the kitchen cabinet.. then there was the new 5# stuffer that raised some concerns about the storage area getting full of MY SAUSAGE MAKING STUFF... and the new scales to accuratly weigh meat and spices and cure.... WHEW !!! I got a lot of heat for stuff....  Amazingly I got heat for ruining the FP.... but NO HEAT for her having to buy a FP bowl..... What did I miss here ?????

oldcountrygirl, morning... It is easy to grow... not very easy to contain once it starts to multiply... All that is needed is a chunk of root and some soil. Pick up a root from the grocery and stick it in the ground... Harvest yearly and replant some of the roots.. once ground, the longer you wait to add vinegar the hotter it gets.... Grinding outside is highly recommended...

Dave

Your  horseradish looks great, I have always wanted to try growing it.

Perhaps its Just an Old wifes tail

yet I was raised believing dat Horshraddish is to be

Dug Any Month that Has an R in it. {supposto be hotter then}

we have a BIG ol patch. an when its harvested an ya cut da tops off

those are soked in an ol 5 gallon bucket of water for a day or 2 an den Replanted in da fall

that way the next year ya have the tender roots an not the tuffer Older ones ya have

to dig to China to find da end of.

Was also Suprised to see you JUST wash da roots.

ooooooooo da hours I have spent with the potato peeler.

yet Horshraddis is a BIG hit in dis house, often used in spicing up potaoe salads

or chicken salads. gives a nice Fresh Zing to foods.

an also GREAT in making Homemade Bloody Mary mix.

Perhaps its Just an Old wifes tail

yet I was raised believing dat Horshraddish is to be

Dug Any Month that Has an R in it. {supposto be hotter then} I dig whenever the mood strikes.. like young carrots.. no peeling required

we have a BIG ol patch. an when its harvested an ya cut da tops off

those are soked in an ol 5 gallon bucket of water for a day or 2 an den Replanted in da fall I tried soaking and found it made the roots soggy and limp

that way the next year ya have the tender roots an not the tuffer Older ones ya have

to dig to China to find da end of.

Was also Suprised to see you JUST wash da roots. Young tender roots with no tough peel

ooooooooo da hours I have spent with the potato peeler.

yet Horshraddis is a BIG hit in dis house, often used in spicing up potaoe salads

or chicken salads. gives a nice Fresh Zing to foods.

an also GREAT in making Homemade Bloody Mary mix. You are so right on when it comes to adding to foods and bloody marys...

Horseradish lovers UNITE.. along with garlic lovers....  Dave

We have wild horseradish at our farm and I have always wanted to dig some up and process it but was always told you had to dig it up in the spring or summer or something like that. We are always down there in the fall after the frost and I was told it was to late to harvest it. I guess I will have to follow your instructions here and make some next year during deer hunting.

We have wild horseradish at our farm and I have always wanted to dig some up and process it but was always told you had to dig it up in the spring or summer or something like that. We are always down there in the fall after the frost and I was told it was to late to harvest it. I guess I will have to follow your instructions here and make some next year during deer hunting.
Ross, morning.... If the ground ain't froze... dig some now and you will be happy... soak for 5 mins to loosen the dirt, scrub with a veggie brush, dice into smaller pieces and process with the blade on the food processor.... wait 20 min - 1 hr and add vinegar and process until you get the consistency you desire.... some like sugar in theirs... I just like the naked flavor... stuff can be added later as needed.... If the roots are big and brown, peel before processing... cut out the woody stuff...   Dave

Ross, morning.... If the ground ain't froze... dig some now and you will be happy... soak for 5 mins to loosen the dirt, scrub with a veggie brush, dice into smaller pieces and process with the blade on the food processor.... wait 20 min - 1 hr and add vinegar and process until you get the consistency you desire.... some like sugar in theirs... I just like the naked flavor... stuff can be added later as needed.... If the roots are big and brown, peel before processing... cut out the woody stuff...   Dave

Thanks Dave. I wish I would have known this last week when I was down at our farm. Oh well I can wait until next year.

Dave, thanks so much for all the info. I am in FL, can I plant it now or wait until spring?
oldcountrygirl, morning.... well, considering HR is one of the most invasive, prolific root crops I know of... planting any time would be fine... also I believe you can harvest anytime after the first year in the ground... that gives it time for a start... just dig up part of the roots and leave some for the next time you want fresh ground...

just a thought... living in Fla you could probably harvest every 6 months or so.... Here right now the night temps are in the low teens... not much growing... Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky