Homemade spam !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dabutcher

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 31, 2021
Just packaged up some spam I made a couple of days ago . It tasted like spam , maybe even a tad better . Cant beat a good fried spam sandwich or spam and eggs .
20220805_084052.jpg

That's on my list, hope mine turns out as well!

The process is fine and your product looks good, however in my opinion, using cure #1 and applying salt as a percentage of meat weight is much better flavor, also the water should contain gelatin, either as broth from cooked hocks or heads or just add some knox gelatin, it makes a difference In pressed ham.

Reactions: DailyLunatic
I love the homemade spam. I have used the Wolf Pit recipe many times. Will have to try the 2 guys recipe. Thanks for sharing 👍

RG

Love Spam.Thanks for posting.I'll certainly have to give homemade Spam a try.

Got two loaves of the lower sodium Spam in the smoker as we speak.And then later it will get sliced and thrown on the Q for quick sear and then onto some toasted bread with a little spicy mustard some fresh tomato and lettuce.Yum.

Reactions: chopsaw
It looks perfect . I wouldn't change a thing . Tender quick on this type of stuff is spot on . You nailed the texture too . Really nice work .

Reactions: Bearcarver
Looks Outstanding D !!
Nice Job!
We're having SLTs tonight---Spam, Lettuce & Tomato Sammies on toast.
Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Just packaged up some spam I made a couple of days ago . It tasted like spam , maybe even a tad better . Cant beat a good fried spam sandwich or spam and eggs .
I'm trying a recipe I found that processes SPAM in Pint Jars and a pressure cooker. (It's a work in progress) 75 minutes at 15psi is just desiccating the meat.
I'm doing this with an eye towards a shelf-stable SPAM. Not one that needs to be kept in a fridge.
I want to try the Sous Vide method but I would think it defeats the purpose of SPAM if it is not long term shelf-stable.
Everyone seems to cut and eat within a week or so. The jarred method is the only one I can find that mentions long term storage.

-sterling

The process is fine and your product looks good, however in my opinion, using cure #1 and applying salt as a percentage of meat weight is much better flavor, also the water should contain gelatin, either as broth from cooked hocks or heads or just add some knox gelatin, it makes a difference In pressed ham.
Bringing this thread back to life because I'm going to do this soon, probably using the Wolf Pit recipe...

My question is about substituting cure#1 for Tender Quick. Is it .25% of the weight of the meat and the other "stuff"? I can't find Tender Quick locally...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky