Homemade Soup .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
If someone says Homemade soup in my house , this is what they mean . I've been eating this my whole life . After I saw the great thread from tbern tbern I realized others were doing the same basic " style " of soup with different ingredients .
My Mom's original recipe was simple and basic because my Dad was a meat and potatoes guy .
2 cans tomato sauce
6 cans of water
russet potatoes
green beans
egg noodles .
A lot of great soups posted lately , so I want to add this to those , and my method for the base just using canned tomato sauce and water .

We always use stew meat . This is sirloin that I trimmed myself from a beef knuckle .
seasoned with fresh ground pepper only . No salt . I don't want the moisture drawn out when browning .
20221222_112818.jpg
Get the pan hot . You don't want the meat sitting in liquid .
Just watch it so you don't burn it .
20221222_114205.jpg
I use 2 15oz. cans of tomato sauce .
When the beef is browned enough I add one can of sauce .
Let it simmer . It's cleaning up the bottom of the pan
and tenderizing the meat . Put the lid on , lower the heat .
You'll smell it when it's time for the next step .
20221222_114315.jpg
Next I add the 2nd can of tomato sauce . I did it like this so you can see the change in color . Most times I put them in at the same time .
The sauce that has been simmered with the beef is a darker color .
You can see the difference from right out of the can .
20221222_114715.jpg
Don't toss the cans . Fill them with water and let them sit until needed .
20221222_115201.jpg
Bring to a boil , then reduce the heat and put the lid on .
When it's getting good you will smell it . This is just the browned beef and 2 cans of sauce at this point .
20221222_121015.jpg
I think yesterday it was about 3 hours when I added the water .
So dump the 2 that you washed the cans out with , then add 4 more .
I'm also grinding black pepper along the way .
Back to a boil , then reduce and lid it up .
Start checking when the smell hits you again . I skim the foam from the top .
20221222_122127.jpg
Skim it off and re-lid . Simmer , check and skim until it looks like this when you take the lid off . At this point it has a deep peppery / beef smell .
20221222_143113.jpg
From there you can add what ever you like . This is not tomato tasting soup .
Hard to describe , but it's addicting .
I added raw carrots , frozen ( par cooked ) green beans
and russet potatoes . I cut the potatoes different sizes on purpose .
I want some to cook down into the broth . Thickens it up just a bit .
This is a long cooking soup . Really builds great flavor . Whatever you add just make sure it has time to cook through , and take on the flavor of the soup .
20221222_160459.jpg
So I went to get the rustic hearth bread I bought for grilled cheese , and found it moldy in the middle of the loaf . Now I know why it was half price .
So I grabbed the mixer and put my own loaf together .
First rise , punched down and shaped .
20221222_162058.jpg
Second rise . Ready for the oven .
20221222_163814.jpg
I put the cast iron pizza pan in to heat up and hour before the bread goes in .
That way I can add 2 TBLS spoons of water to the hot cast iron to create some steam .
Bread pulled when it sounds hollow on the bottom . Should be 195 / 200 .
20221222_165244.jpg
20221222_165301.jpg
Happy with it , except the fact that I forgot the salt .
20221222_175250.jpg
Made up some grilled cheese with pepperoni and pepper jack cheese .
20221222_181447.jpg
Soups ready . It smells so good . It's an all day cook ,
but it really makes a difference .
20221222_182918.jpg
I added some wagon wheel pasta that I boiled in another pot .
20221222_183505.jpg
Grilled cheese and some chips .
20221222_183501.jpg
It really hits the spot . Becomes a focal point of the whole day .
From simmering on the stove to sitting down for the meal .
20221222_183514.jpg
Thanks for looking . Leftovers have already been requested for tonight .

chopsaw another excellent example of a comfort food soup!! bookmarked and added on list to get made! thanks for sharing!

Reactions: chopsaw
We have got to start a soup sub forum. I am book marking so many great looking soups im losing them!
dude those grilled cheese look great also!

Now I'm starving just imagining how good your house smells! Love the looks of that soup and the bread as well!

Ryan

Good Lord Rich. That is simply amazing! I wouldn't have chips though. It'll take away room for the sammies and soup!

chopsaw another excellent example of a comfort food soup!! bookmarked and added on list to get made! thanks for sharing!
I saw your thread and knew exactly what you had there . I'm passionate about this one and hope I didn't butt in to much in your thread .
You already have it figured out , but try the stew meat sometime and simmer it like this before you add anything else . The tomato sauce tenderizes the meat , and the meat flavors the sauce .
See , I'm getting all weird about soup again .
nice work there!
Ray , it's good bud . To bad you don't live in a cold climate .
That's an awesome meal right there.
Thanks Rick . Be good with some white beans added in .

Looks awesome Rich. With this weather I could go for some of that.
Thanks Norm . Did this weather make it up there yet ? It hits the spot .
so many great looking soups
I know . I saw some I want to do too . Highlight the text and copy to a word file . Easy to find that way .
those grilled cheese look great also!
Jim , they are . I got the grilled cheese down . Kerry gold butter is magic . Hot salami or the pepperoni is awesome too .

Now I'm starving just imagining how good your house smells! Love the looks of that soup and the bread as well!
That all day simmer is key . Brings people in and out of the kitchen .
Bread baking and the fire going , it was a good day to be home .
Thanks for looking .
Good Lord Rich. That is simply amazing! I wouldn't have chips though. It'll take away room for the sammies and soup!
Steve , it's one that you can't stop eating . The flavor of the base is fantastic . Thanks bud .

WOW!! Absolutely fantastic thread. The detail and pics are second to none...as is the soup itself. yours looks virtually identical to what I did a few days ago so that tells me I came close to getting it right. Your recommendation of using water versus beef broth was spot on. The only difference I see is that my broth looks to be a bit thicker than yours. Probably because I didn't use quite as much water.
This is a long cooking soup . Really builds great flavor .
Truer words have never been spoken. Of course when I had everything put together I had to take a taste of it. Good but not cohesive. A long, slow simmer is critical (IMHO) for the flavors to develop. Being that this was my first ever batch, I'm no expert by any means but what Rich said worked very well for me.

Robert

Reactions: chopsaw and Steve H
yours looks virtually identical to what I did a few days ago so that tells me I came close to getting it right.
Yup . I commented that you nailed the broth . Looked spot on . As did tbern tbern soup .
The only difference I see is that my broth looks to be a bit thicker than yours. Probably because I didn't use quite as much water.
It gets thick when it's right ( or how I like it ) Mine yesterday was a bit thinner than normal . I didn't use as many potatoes . Cut some of the russets in small chunks . They cook into the soup and thicken it up .
Good but not cohesive. A long, slow simmer is critical (IMHO) for the flavors to develop.
I agree .

Man! I could sure use a bowl of that and a sammich or two. That looks killer, I can almost taste the depth of flavor. This weather has my skinny ass holed up in the house. 10*, Wind 33 G 52.
4* tonight.....

Man! I could sure use a bowl of that and a sammich or two. That looks killer, I can almost taste the depth of flavor.
Thanks bud .Yup you can see it in the color and the skimming off the top as it cooks is a must in my opinion . Really cleans up the taste .
This weather has my skinny ass holed up in the house. 10*, Wind 33 G 52.
4* tonight.....
It's brutal Bill . I'm too stupid to get the right clothes on when I go out .
Went out to start the old truck in shorts . Damn wind goes right through you .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky