Homemade Slow N Sear-Yankeebbq

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
B49F461E-0A7D-49A7-A4FB-7BD83F63DB1B.jpeg
F4FA22CE-9E94-47BE-A9C0-BCA08AEDA1CE.jpeg
34B16FFD-7CBB-4CD0-80CE-7F23F321CCD8.jpeg

Been researching some modifications for the Weber kettle 22 inch. And the slow n sear caught my eye. Being a tight ass, I decided to make my own. Made out of 10 gauge steel. Holds almost a chimney full of charcoal. Can’t wait to to try it out.

EE34F248-4991-4C3F-ADD7-D277C0C75E17.jpeg
Nice! This is what I did. They are 4 fire bricks that cost $12 all together. I should probably put some aluminum foil down on the indirect side but I keep forgetting lol 10 gauge steel should last and last.

That looks really good Justin, and a perfect fit. Can't wait to see it in action.

Point for sure.
Chris

Nice fab work! How about sand the rust off the cooking surface tho? Looks like mill scale under the rust. I’ve seen a guy cook on mill scale but I would grind it off myself before eating on it. Then you will be cooking on seasoned steel, have fun with it!

Let us know how it works. I may have to contract you out to make one for me. I have zero metal fabbing skills.

Chris

Reactions: yankee2bbq
Nice fab work! How about sand the rust off the cooking surface tho? Looks like mill scale under the rust. I’ve seen a guy cook on mill scale but I would grind it off myself before eating on it. Then you will be cooking on seasoned steel, have fun with it!
That is not a cooking surface. It’s acts like a heat baffle/drip pan. I did sand and wash in warm soapy water before use. Then did a trial run yesterday with high heat.

Thanks for the like yankee2bbq.

They did not understand that was not the cooking surface?? you put grate over top of it.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky