Slow N Sear thoughts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbern

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2015
Southwest Minnesota
hi, just picked up a used weber 22'' grill and wondering of those of you that have or have used the slow n sear product think of it. any other options that work as well or better? cheaper? any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. thanks

I have the larger SnS for my 26" kettle and love it. I'm pretty sure they make one for the 22" Kettle also. I can get temps around 250* for about 5 to 6 hours. Which is a whole lot less charcoal then my 22" WSM would use.

Here's a shot of a brisket I did recently:

1657221608243.png

As for other option there's the charcoal baskets, and the snake method. Both work great. With the snake I believe you can get up to 10 hours of 250* heat. The baskets will give you a shorter time before they need refilling but that's easy to do if you have the flip up cooking grates.

Chris

first off, both of you guys food looks great! thanks for the info. the roti ring looks interesting too, do you use it alot? have you ever done a whole turkey on it?

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
first off, both of you guys food looks great! thanks for the info. the roti ring looks interesting too, do you use it alot? have you ever done a whole turkey on it?

Thanks.
I use the rotisserie ring a lot.
This particular ring is from Onlyfire. They offer two versions in which one version is just the ring, motor, spit rod, bushing and counter weight. The other version includes a door, pizza peel and hardware to use it as a pizza oven for the kettle.
I have not used the roti for a whole turkey, but the motor is rated for 20 lbs. So, a whole turkey should be no problem.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Since you have the 22" kettle already. I thought I'd toss the Vortex into the discussion. It's an unbelievable accessory for getting high indirect heat out of the kettle. It works great for all chicken parts or whole birds.

1657234739257.png

1657235087650.png

It also capable of making things like chicken fried steak.
1657234883567.png

1657234947157.png

I'm just trying to help ya spend your money. We're good at that.

Chris

I bought the Smokenator a while back for my 22". Meh. I'll still use it, 'cause, why not? You can get about 6 hours out of it.

When I wanted to smoke something in my 18" I wasn't going to buy another gadget because it was on it's last leg after 30+ years. I just put two bricks in it and made a firewall like the Smokenator and SNS does. Top vent opposite fire. Lasted 6 hours.

Bricks are cheap and act like a temp control. Keep them dry and the temp under 250-275F though, unless you buy firebricks.

Thanks.
I use the rotisserie ring a lot.
This particular ring is from Onlyfire. They offer two versions in which one version is just the ring, motor, spit rod, bushing and counter weight. The other version includes a door, pizza peel and hardware to use it as a pizza oven for the kettle.
I have not used the roti for a whole turkey, but the motor is rated for 20 lbs. So, a whole turkey should be no problem.
nice to know about the 20lb cap. will have to look at the onlyfire version. thanks for all your info

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Since you have the 22" kettle already. I thought I'd toss the Vortex into the discussion. It's an unbelievable accessory for getting high indirect heat out of the kettle. It works great for all chicken parts or whole birds.

View attachment 636934
View attachment 636938

It also capable of making things like chicken fried steak.
View attachment 636936

View attachment 636937

I'm just trying to help ya spend your money. We're good at that.

Chris
vortex looks interesting also and will look into that too now. lol, lots of toys to spend money on if a guy wants to, but if you get good food out of it the tradeoff is worth it. all your food looks great too!

thanks to all who have replied! appreciate hearing from those who have experience with all the different methods. lots to look into now.

very interesting video, looks like that method works very well. nice and simple way to cook. thanks for sharing it.

Reactions: sawhorseray
You can add wood chunks along the snake, for smoke flavor and bark. No pics left, all got deleted yesterday RAY

Good info here in this thread by some great forum members! I know this thread is about an SnS, but some accessories others have mentioned… just thought I’d give my two cents! I completely agree with the vortex (if you do this, please get a good pair of gloves… first time I used mine I did not realize just how damn hot the lid handle gets) almost branded a Weber emblem into my palm… also if ya get a chance look into a rotisserie as well! As gmc2003 gmc2003 referred to, we have no problem helping ya spend your money! 😂

Like the snake/fuse method on my 26
When the cook is over use your long fork through the grate to move lit coals away from the remaining unlit fuel and close vents, it's ready to go for the next time.
Low and slow or fire breathing sear.
IMG_20220814_144106.jpg
IMG_20220815_164212.jpg
IMG_20220815_164010.jpg
IMG_20220814_142046.jpg
IMG_20220815_164010.jpg
IMG_20220814_142046.jpg

Reactions: bill1 and bigfurmn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky