Homemade Sausage - Pizza Topping

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
In my quest to make a great breakfast sausage, I had a lot of fails. One of the fails was actually really good...as a pizza topping. It is a little bit of a spicy sausage with a good flavor. We use it to make homemade pizzas, but we buy the pre-made crust/sauce kit at Sams.

Today I made 2.5 lbs of sausage pizza topping (enough for 3 or 4 pizzas), 6 pounds of my knock-off Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage and 6 pounds of Jalapeno Herb pork sausage sticks. As I was by myself, this took a spell but it was worth it. Here are some of the sausage-for-pizza-topping pics. Recipe is at the bottom.

I used the fine plate for the pizza topping and breakfast sausage.
11 pounds went through the Kitchenaid grinder attachment in about 20 minutes
IMG_7236.jpg

Water and seasonings added
IMG_7240.jpg

mixed and rested
IMG_7242.jpg

Pizza topping on the left, breakfast sausage on the right. We eat it fast enough that I just use ziploc bags and don't bother with shrink-wrapping it.
IMG_7244.jpg

Homemade Sausage - Pizza Topping Recipe
  • 16 ounces ground pork
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon dried parsley
  • ½ teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
  • ¼ teaspoon Accent
  • ¼ teaspoon Oregano
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder

Eric , you got the mix down bud . That's perfect . Nice bind .
Some of the best Italian sausage I've done , was a breakfast sausage mix with fennel and anise added to it .
Made sausage myself today . Nice work !

Nice piece of work, looks great, Like! I make a maple breakfast sausage that just doesn't work on pizza. Good job on doing it alone, I don't like anyone else in the kitchen but my dog. RAY

Reactions: uncle eddie
Nice job and Bookmarked! I like Italian Fennel Sausage on an Italian Roll with Fried Peppers and Onions, or as a meat side with Pasta and Tomato Sauce. Call me crazy, but I am not crazy about Fennel Sausage on Pizza! The Pizza Sausage I have enjoyed the most were Porky and lightly seasoned, with what? I don't know. Your mix sounds like a good possibility for what I desire. Thanks...JJ

Nice job and Bookmarked! I like Italian Fennel Sausage on an Italian Roll with Fried Peppers and Onions, or as a meat side with Pasta and Tomato Sauce. Call me crazy, but I am not crazy about Fennel Sausage on Pizza! The Pizza Sausage I have enjoyed the most were Porky and lightly seasoned, with what? I don't know. Your mix sounds like a good possibility for what I desire. Thanks...JJ
The best sausage I've ever had on pizza is Tony Gemignani's calabrese honey sausage, it's KILLER!!!!
I wish his recipe was a larger batch, I suck at up or downsizing recipes, I wish there was an app for that. LOL!!!.

forktender forktender Send me the recipe and let me know how much you want. I been increasing or decreasing Recipes for years...JJ

Reactions: forktender
The best sausage I've ever had on pizza is Tony Gemignani's calabrese honey sausage, it's KILLER!!!!
I wish his recipe was a larger batch, I suck at up or downsizing recipes, I wish there was an app for that. LOL!!!.

forktender forktender - I have my sausage recipes in an Excel spreadsheet that allows me to upsize the recipe with a single keystroke. Send me a PM with your email and I can send it to you or upsize it to whatever batch size you desire and send that instead.

Nice job On the sausage!
Now I wanna see the pizza!!
Al

SmokinAl SmokinAl - I completely forgot. But the kit was great. Cooked the pizza on a stone at 450...made a crispy crust.

Reactions: forktender
forktender forktender - I have my sausage recipes in an Excel spreadsheet that allows me to upsize the recipe with a single keystroke. Send me a PM with your email and I can send it to you or upsize it to whatever batch size you desire and send that instead.

SmokinAl SmokinAl - I completely forgot. But the kit was great. Cooked the pizza on a stone at 450...made a crispy crust.
That would be awesome, thank you very much.
I have to dig out the book, then I will send you the recipe.
That would be a huge help.
Thanks again.
Dan

uncle eddie uncle eddie
For some reason, when I try to send a p/m it says that I have to add 2 more digits to the name line.
Weird, I've sent hundreds of p/m's on this site the same way I tried to send you a message.
If you can, please try to message me, so I can send you the recipe in the reply.

Sorry for the troubles.
Dan

Homemade Sausage - Pizza Topping Recipe
  • 16 ounces ground pork
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon dried parsley
  • ½ teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
  • ¼ teaspoon Accent
  • ¼ teaspoon Oregano
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder

Thanks Uncle eddie for the recipe , i'm going to give it a whirl

David

Reactions: uncle eddie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky