Homemade Lasagna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
love lasagna and yours looks excellent!! thanks for sharing it!
thanks bern .
In all seriousness, that looks top notch and I’d be one happy redneck sitting down to a plate! Very nice!
Thanks bud . It's good . Not a saucy sloppy mess like some people do . Actually taste like something because it stays together . Fennel , basil and the chew of the pasta makes it .

Looks amazing!! Especially impressed with the homemade pasta! I grew up on lasagna using cottage cheese. I’ll use either now.

Reactions: chopsaw
That’s impressive
Thank you for that . I appreciate it .
It has everything, like pizza. It’s a perfect food.
Lol . Yup . You can make it whatever you want too .
Nothing beats homemade. Great job.
Thanks Steve . I clean as I go through the steps . Takes the " chore " out of it .
One of these days I'll try making pasta.
Here ya go . This is a place to start .
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
Warm water if needed .

Mix by hand . Shouldn't be real wet , and can seem dry .
Add water by the TBLS if needed .
After resting in the fridge it hydrates through out .

Roll out by hand into a sheet .
Roll it back up on itself and cut the desired width by cross cutting the roll .
Boil it up fresh . It cooks fast .

Reactions: Steve H
Looks awesome Rich! Especially made from scratch like you did! Might just have to break out the kitchen aid pasta attachment...been too long since I used it.
Funny thing is I can't stand cottage cheese, but I do add it to lasagna...tried ricotta once but didn't care for it either.

Ryan

And you don't like the cottage cheese !!! Lol .
LOL. The ricotta vs cottage cheese thing is a battle here amongst families like Hellmans vs Miracle Whip. In laws are totally disgusted with CC and my Dad thinks ricotta is too expensive. I like both and we typically use 50/50 ricotta/CC. We do the egg thing too. That being said, EVERYONE here uses ground beef in lasagna and that is HUUUGE mistake. Not sure how or why but despite us being 99.999% german we always have lasagna with Christmas dinner.

LOL. The ricotta vs cottage cheese thing is a battle here amongst families like Hellmans vs Miracle Whip. In laws are totally disgusted with CC and my Dad thinks ricotta is too expensive. I like both and we typically use 50/50 ricotta/CC. We do the egg thing too. That being said, EVERYONE here uses ground beef in lasagna and that is HUUUGE mistake. Not sure how or why but despite us being 99.999% german we always have lasagna with Christmas dinner.
never used CC, the tought of those chunks always make me want to blow chunks. Never tried the egg, that seems interesting. we have begun using sausage instead of chop meat also.

Reactions: chopsaw and zwiller
Boo-ya now that's a lasagna. Nicely done Rich.

Point for sure
Chris

Absolutely a spectacular piece of work Rich! I'm really liking your pasta roller,
Thanks Ray . That's the top of the line . Really well made and does a great job .
The cutting head has 2 different cutters in it , and you can get a couple more to switch out .
I'll be giving your dough recipe a shot in a day or so, looks great!
You know what you're doing for sure . That mix is spot on . I need to try it with AP flour , but I think the 00 adds some flex to it . Just enough semolina keeps it from being to grainy .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks amazing!! Especially impressed with the homemade pasta!
Thanks Jeff . The pasta makes it .
I grew up on lasagna using cottage cheese.
Me too . For me it's not the same without it .
Looks awesome Rich! Especially made from scratch like you did!
Thank you sir .
Funny thing is I can't stand cottage cheese, but I do add it to lasagna
I like it right out of the tub . It's great in Lasagna .

Looks freakin great!
Thanks John .
That homemade pasta is the kicker for an outstanding Lasagna.
I've never had the gumption or a pasta machine.
My kids gave me that for Christmas a few years ago . It was intimidating for sure .
The fact that it wasn't cheap , and that they bought it for me was motivation enough , but the learning curve made me walk away from it a couple times . Now I have it figured out , and know that I'm not wasting my time . It's a joy really . I see the effort that goes into your food with family in mind . That's what drives us .

Boo-ya now that's a lasagna. Nicely done Rich.
Chris you feeling better ? Thanks for looking .
Great looking lasagna Rich.
appreciate that Bill .
I've never made pasta before, just used the store bought - no boil type.
Good way to do it . I usually just build this without boiling .

Dad thinks ricotta is too expensive.
That's it in a nutshell . If it was from my childhood it must have been the least expensive option .
Never tried the egg, that seems interesting.
Cliff if you look back at the pics of ready to go in the oven , and out of the oven cooling , you can see home much it has risen in the pan .

Chris you feeling better ? Thanks for looking .
Starting to, now I'm only sleeping 15hrs a day. Go figure I make thru the covid years without so much as a cold and my little 2 yr. old grandson wipes me out with one half day visit. Two covid tests taken and both are negative, so it must be the flu.

Chris

Starting to, now I'm only sleeping 15hrs a day. Go figure I make thru the covid years without so much as a cold and my little 2 yr. old grandson wipes me out with one half day visit.
Good . Same when I had it . Sleep all day . Even through the asshat neighbors dog barking .
My daughter is a Pre-K teacher . She says it like standing in front of one big snotty coughing sneezing mess . Lol .
stay on the mend bud .

Got inspired to make up some Lasagna yesterday .
Well Rich, ya got me. Between you, Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) with his infinite wisdom, and Dave showing his new pasta maker, I went and did it. Got a nice setup for pasta making for Christmas and put it to use today. Made the lasagna noodles, made the sauce using homemade spicy Italian sausage, and it's all put together. Ready to cook and serve. I'll either add to this post tomorrow or strart a new one depending on how well it comes out. Me thinks this is gonna be some kind of good!!

Robert

Looks really good.
We make homemade lasagna here too. We do a combination of ground Italian pork and ground beef. We’ll do ricotta sometimes, sometimes not. Never cottage cheese. Something that never changes for us is making the red pasta sauce the day before.
Anyways, would love to try yours! Happy New Year friend!!!

Wow Rich , we love Lasagna ( even though we only use mozza on top and a little in the middle layer )
we normally make it at about 5 layers high.
But that is one pretty from total scratch pan of goodness right there.
We would have no problem sitting to a few pieces of that.
And love the final colour , just beautiful

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky