Homemade Kimchi time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Continuing to dive into fermenting so kimchi was next on the list. I have about 7 jars of various peppers, 3 jars of Bavarian kraut and 4 jars of fire kraut going. Worked this in today in between throwing logs on the Lang’s. First up I cut up 4 good sized Napa cabbages. Cored, quartered then cut into about 2” pieces. For each two I added 1/2 cup sea salt. Mixed it in and worked it a bit then covered in distilled water. These would sit for about 2 hours. This is one of the two containers.
F15A8E46-CD7C-46F5-B05B-3180F38D3DC3.jpeg
Next up I cut about 2 lbs of Daikon radish into matchsticks , 16 scallions in 2” pieces and two red bell peppers in thin strips as well. Knife work was a little sloppy :)
3529B038-7B02-43D7-AB53-8E57EB956089.jpeg
Time to make the spice paste. I used 14 T of gochugaru (Korean pepper flake), 2 T red pepper flakes.(was short on gojugaru) 20 cloves of minced garlic,4 t fresh grated ginger, 6 T Allulose ( I wanted sugar free you can use 4 T sugar) , 5 T Red Boat Fish sauce, 2 T tamari.
207E6981-3E88-47CE-954C-1272B5EAC0DE.jpeg
After the two hours I strained and saved the brine from the cabbage and then rinsed it and soaked in cold fresh water several times. Once it was rinsed well I missed in the other veggies and the paste and worked it good.
CE4E842B-26B0-43BD-9179-017261AA7BFD.jpeg
Last up packed the sterilized jars and tamped it down real good with my league smasher. Cleaned up the jars and topped with some of the reserved brine as needed. Put on the air locks, filled them with a little vodka and off to the closet they go.
974C86D1-6363-4114-A784-81FB8D72E53F.jpeg
Tomorrow I think I’m going to go grab a few habanero to add to one of the jars for an extra spicy batch. Well that’s all for now. Not sure how long I’ll ferment these. Will start tasting in a week perhaps and may go up to 4. Thanks for looking!

and what does the vodka do .
It's used as the liquid in the air locks at the top of the containers. The air locks let the fermentation gases out, but don't allow air to enter the containers. The gases bubble out through the vodka and air from outside the container cannot get in through the vodka.

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff this looks real good , is it like a sauerkraut, I will look it up.
With what you have in it , sounds hot and lots of garlic, and what does the vodka do .

David
Sort of a spicy Korean version of kraut. It should be fairly spicy. You can cut the pepper way back to around 4T for milder kimchi. I use vodka in my airlocks as someone did in either a post or conversation so I just went with it. Perhaps for sterility.

It's used as the liquid in the air locks at the top of the containers. The air locks let the fermentation gases out, but don't allow air to enter the containers. The gases bubble out through the vodka and air from outside the container cannot get in through the vodka.

Ok thanks Doug , that makes sense. Like oil in water in a P trap.

David

Sort of a spicy Korean version of kraut. It should be fairly spicy. You can cut the pepper way back to around 4T for milder kimchi. I use vodka in my airlocks as someone did in either a post or conversation so I just went with it. Perhaps for sterility.

Thanks Jeff, it does sound spicy, I would give it a taste test before just saying no. I don't mind some cooked cabbage in some foods.
I am not a big sauerkraut guy, my uncle used to make his own and keep it buried in his back yard out by the barn. Maybe because my Aunt did not want it fermenting in the house . I just could not get a taste for it , and I love sour foods and pickled things

David.

now I got a hankering for a big bowl of Hot and Sour soup

Last edited:
With what you have in it , sounds hot and lots of garlic, and what does the vodka do .

David
It tastes like sauerkraut with a pair of funky sweaty gym socks added to it, then left in the sun for a few weeks.:emoji_laughing:

I just can't do it.:emoji_joy:

It tastes like sauerkraut with a pair of funky sweaty gym socks added to it, then left in the sun for a few weeks.:emoji_laughing:

Lol I am hoping your description of my result is off. I’ve only had it once before on some kind of fusion taco.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender

Wow with a description like that , everyone will be knocking on Jeffs door with a bowl in hand wanting some

But Jeff , if its something you like than I hope it turns out good.
A lot of people love a nice big steamed/boiled lobster, me I would sooner eat a hot dog.
I can cook them very nicely , I just will not eat one

David

Man that looks good. I don't know how you find the time being that you still work. You can just use your distilled water in air locks just make sure you sterilize them first. I stayed at the river to long yesterday and did not get my cook done. Staying home today.

Looks good. I remember when I was in Korea, I had some. Good lord was it spicy! But good too. And seeing those clay kimchi pots all over the place.

David
Wow with a description like that , everyone will be knocking on Jeffs door with a bowl in hand wanting some

But Jeff , if its something you like than I hope it turns out good.
A lot of people love a nice big steamed/boiled lobster, me I would sooner eat a hot dog.
I can cook them very nicely , I just will not eat one

David
Man that looks good. I don't know how you find the time being that you still work. You can just use your distilled water in air locks just make sure you sterilize them first. I stayed at the river to long yesterday and did not get my cook done. Staying home today.
Jeff, I've never had homemade. Looks good...
Looks good. I remember when I was in Korea, I had some. Good lord was it spicy! But good too. And seeing those clay kimchi pots all over the place.
I'm a big fan of kimchi. Nice job Jeff
Thanks guys! I’ve only had it once so I’ll either have a lot of kimchi to eat or a lot to add to the homemade goodies Christmas basket for guys haha.

I love a good kitchen. I made one a couple months ago and left it in my fridge...I wonder if it's still good. I've never done the airlock before. Went off a recipe to put it in my pantry for 3 days before placing in the fridge. Your process makes me question whether mine is still good

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky