Homemade Kimchi time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Steve I am still trying to figure that out. I’ve read anything from only 3 days to a month. I think I’ll go a week and start tasting.
Started my first batch of fermented habanero hot sauce yesterday and plan to ferment 4-6 weeks. Was telling people at work about it and someone mentioned how it sounded like kimchi. Never heard of it but now I'm interested after seeing this. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Reactions: jcam222
Started my first batch of fermented habanero hot sauce yesterday and plan to ferment 4-6 weeks. Was telling people at work about it and someone mentioned how it sounded like kimchi. Never heard of it but now I'm interested after seeing this. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
I just started fermenting super hots including habanero this year. Love it!! First batch did 2 weeks. 2nd was 4. I’ve got quite a few batches between 7 and 12 weeks now.

That’s awesome. I love Kimchi, my old Roomate was Korean and got me into it. It’s funny that it does seem like it’s in a lot of “gastro pubs” and fusion Resturaunt now. I think it’d be real fun to make, hope it turns out excellent!

Kimchi ferments so fast it’s insane. Not sure yet why it’s so much faster than kraut but it is. Very tangy and overflowing bubbly in just 3 days. Most Korean recommendations is to move to frig to slow fermenting by day 4. It’s absolutely Randy and delicious today. No funk at all from the fish sauce. Just a spicy type Kraut with a hint of umami. I LOVE this stuff. Will ferment slowly in frig gaining some sourness over the next month. Have found some recipes that the extra sour is used for. Here’s a closeup of a little before I devoured it.
7F9A258D-F25B-4AFB-B207-3D2B2BCDA96D.jpeg

Kimchi ferments so fast it’s insane. Not sure yet why it’s so much faster than kraut but it is. Very tangy and overflowing bubbly in just 3 days. Most Korean recommendations is to move to frig to slow fermenting by day 4. It’s absolutely Randy and delicious today. No funk at all from the fish sauce. Just a spicy type Kraut with a hint of umami. I LOVE this stuff. Will ferment slowly in frig gaining some sourness over the next month. Have found some recipes that the extra sour is used for. Here’s a closeup of a little before I devoured it. View attachment 518566
Yummy

950CA542-7CE3-4509-9374-A0177A996053.jpeg
Buddy swung by to pick up a small jar sampler. He had just made chili sauce and smoked some dogs on his MB 1050. He flipped over this stuff lol.

Reactions: zwiller
Kimchi ferments so fast it’s insane. Not sure yet why it’s so much faster than kraut but it is. Very tangy and overflowing bubbly in just 3 days. Most Korean recommendations is to move to frig to slow fermenting by day 4. It’s absolutely Randy and delicious today. No funk at all from the fish sauce. Just a spicy type Kraut with a hint of umami. I LOVE this stuff. Will ferment slowly in frig gaining some sourness over the next month. Have found some recipes that the extra sour is used for. Here’s a closeup of a little before I devoured it. View attachment 518566
Wow that is much faster then I thought it would be. Great looking stuff

Wow that is much faster then I thought it would be. Great looking stuff
You can ferment much longer for very strong sour kimchi. I like the mild tang to it now. It will continue to slowly sour in frig too. Yea it’s crazy though how active it was. Just a tap of the jar and huge bubbles ruse everywhere. It actually overflowed the 2nd night.

You can ferment much longer for very strong sour kimchi. I like the mild tang to it now. It will continue to slowly sour in frig too. Yea it’s crazy though how active it was. Just a tap of the jar and huge bubbles ruse everywhere. It actually overflowed the 2nd night.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing, I will try this soon

Continuing to dive into fermenting so kimchi was next on the list. I have about 7 jars of various peppers, 3 jars of Bavarian kraut and 4 jars of fire kraut going. Worked this in today in between throwing logs on the Lang’s. First up I cut up 4 good sized Napa cabbages. Cored, quartered then cut into about 2” pieces. For each two I added 1/2 cup sea salt. Mixed it in and worked it a bit then covered in distilled water. These would sit for about 2 hours. This is one of the two containers. View attachment 518160 Next up I cut about 2 lbs of Daikon radish into matchsticks , 16 scallions in 2” pieces and two red bell peppers in thin strips as well. Knife work was a little sloppy :) View attachment 518161 Time to make the spice paste. I used 14 T of gochugaru (Korean pepper flake), 2 T red pepper flakes.(was short on gojugaru) 20 cloves of minced garlic,4 t fresh grated ginger, 6 T Allulose ( I wanted sugar free you can use 4 T sugar) , 5 T Red Boat Fish sauce, 2 T tamari. View attachment 518162 After the two hours I strained and saved the brine from the cabbage and then rinsed it and soaked in cold fresh water several times. Once it was rinsed well I missed in the other veggies and the paste and worked it good. View attachment 518163 Last up packed the sterilized jars and tamped it down real good with my league smasher. Cleaned up the jars and topped with some of the reserved brine as needed. Put on the air locks, filled them with a little vodka and off to the closet they go. View attachment 518164 Tomorrow I think I’m going to go grab a few habanero to add to one of the jars for an extra spicy batch. Well that’s all for now. Not sure how long I’ll ferment these. Will start tasting in a week perhaps and may go up to 4. Thanks for looking!
I got my jar but looks like going to take a trip south to get ingredients. Put on the back burner for now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky