Homemade Kimchi time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When fermenting beer with lacto or bugs as well call it, it is well known the longer the better HOWEVER it does not necessarily mean it will be more sour but NOTHING about wild ferments is certain. What typically happens over the longer time is the acids turn to esters and create fruit notes and this is HIGHLY desirable for beer. I also think the better fermented hot sauces like Tabasco employ this. Easy enough to hide a jar to try. I suspect it might be a balancing act with kimchi and the crunch might take a hit or be a total loss and turn to mush. Much of the REAL good info about this sort of stuff is kept secret... One thing I am supremely confident is that legit kimchi is probably started with the "dregs" of the previous batch to ensure consistency using same culture and speed up production. Another well known thing about fermenting (mainly kraut) is that malted barley is LOADED with lacto AND sugars to start a good lacto ferment. Ground malt is considered a proper kraut starter by many. DYING to try some of this but no time to fool but hope others benefit from the info.

When fermenting beer with lacto or bugs as well call it, it is well known the longer the better HOWEVER it does not necessarily mean it will be more sour but NOTHING about wild ferments is certain. What typically happens over the longer time is the acids turn to esters and create fruit notes and this is HIGHLY desirable for beer. I also think the better fermented hot sauces like Tabasco employ this. Easy enough to hide a jar to try. I suspect it might be a balancing act with kimchi and the crunch might take a hit or be a total loss and turn to mush. Much of the REAL good info about this sort of stuff is kept secret... One thing I am supremely confident is that legit kimchi is probably started with the "dregs" of the previous batch to ensure consistency using same culture and speed up production. Another well known thing about fermenting (mainly kraut) is that malted barley is LOADED with lacto AND sugars to start a good lacto ferment. Ground malt is considered a proper kraut starter by many. DYING to try some of this but no time to fool but hope others benefit from the info.
Lots of info out there and much of it conflicts. Some swear by starters whereas other contend it can make the ferment skip critical stages in the ferment. I broke out my kraut a few days ago. Both the fire and regular are outstanding. At 3 weeks they were salty. At 4 it’s the perfect sauerkraut tangy flavor. Now for peppers I have jars in various stages to test out the fruity esthers. I have habanero and super hot blends ranging from 4 months to more. Going to process on of them soon as I’m running low on bottled sauce. It’s darn fun to experiment for sure.

Reactions: zwiller
I will be picking up my stuff to make tomorrow.

At 3 weeks they were salty.

I am a little concerned on this for the Kimchi adding some brine back in. I might just skip this part. I seem to be getting salt sensitive in my old age. I been meaning to ask you what kind of salt you use for that sweet heat rub? I been using table salt which adds more per volume than kosher. That rub is really good. This last batch tasted a little salty but might not of got mixed good and just took a dab with my finger.

I will be picking up my stuff to make tomorrow.

I am a little concerned on this for the Kimchi adding some brine back in. I might just skip this part. I seem to be getting salt sensitive in my old age. I been meaning to ask you what kind of salt you use for that sweet heat rub? I been using table salt which adds more per volume than kosher. That rub is really good. This last batch tasted a little salty but might not of got mixed good and just took a dab with my finger.
I use kosher for the rub. For fermenting I use natural sea salt only. There is literally no saltiness to the kimchi I did. So much so that I add a little when I eat it

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
A guy I worked with use to bring cucumber kimchi in all the time. Man was it good. You might want to explore that. I send message to him last night and ask if pepper I had to make Chinese Chili Oil would work. Hard to read those packages! He sent me pic of one his Korean wife uses. Will try find today. Reminds me need to make some more of that oil! It is so good.

Reactions: jcam222
Were going to call this a practice round. Bought two smaller that weighted 5 lbs. Next time buy one big one. First thought had to much cabbage so took out all the tougher white pieces. Should of left them in. Needed them. 2nd was cleaning up some and poured the brine out. Damn. Had some regular cabbage was going to cook so brine it for the water. Need to be packed down more but needed the extra cabbage. Threw a habanero in. Thought about 2 but figured play it safe. Will do a better job next time but like they say: As long as you can eat your mistakes or something like that.

20211231_152029.jpg

I use vodka in my airlocks as someone did in either a post or conversation so I just went with it. Perhaps for sterility.
It is sterility, but there are way cheaper things to use. I used to make beer and would use starsan, the same stuff I would clean the fermentation vessel with. Then I went to fermenting in a freezer, I could ferment 6 different beers simultaneously by wrapping each fermentor in a heater used under lizard aquariums and a pid controller. When I did that the starsan would freeze, duh!, and had to start using vodka.

You convinced me to make a small batch today. Never had this before but the ingredients made my mouth water. Tried some of the left over pieces that didn't make it into the jars, GREAT flavor!!! I can't wait to taste this once it is fermented. Thank you for sharing this.

Attachments

• 20220101_174426.jpg
    20220101_174426.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 17
You convinced me to make a small batch today. Never had this before but the ingredients made my mouth water. Tried some of the left over pieces that didn't make it into the jars, GREAT flavor!!! I can't wait to taste this once it is fermented. Thank you for sharing this.
Nice!! I’ll start a few more jars soon myself. I’m going to add a few super hot peppers to my next batches. You will be surprised how fast the ferment starts and can be pulled to the frig. By the end of day 4 it will be ready to move to frig and eat.

Nice!! I’ll start a few more jars soon myself. I’m going to add a few super hot peppers to my next batches. You will be surprised how fast the ferment starts and can be pulled to the frig. By the end of day 4 it will be ready to move to frig and eat.
Currently that is my plan, 4 days. I would like more spice as well. Considering using hot peppers in the next batch I like to sweat lol

Man it overflowed. Fermenting like crazy! Had a bag with some water in it to keep cabbage submerged. Took it out. Just let it float. This first one been a learning lesson.

Boy thats a wicked odor when opening. Been 4 days and removed air lock and put into fridge. Once been in fridge for a while is it safe to put into air tight jars? I guessing just have to keep loose lid but want to give some to friend. Still not sure about this but time will tell. Should of used two peppers.

This been kind of a journey. Took out of fridge and gave good stir. That funky odor subsided now after slowing fermentation in fridge. Could smell yesterday with door closed. Gave a taste and pretty good just need bit more spice. Add 2 Habanero's next time. Put a bag of water back in to keep submerged but think about ready to eat.

20220105_065039.jpg

Guess I should of washed my hand before touching my eye. :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
I had to move mi
This been kind of a journey. Took out of fridge and gave good stir. That funky odor subsided now after slowing fermentation in fridge. Could smell yesterday with door closed. Gave a taste and pretty good just need bit more spice. Add 2 Habanero's next time. Put a bag of water back in to keep submerged but think about ready to eat.

View attachment 521056

Guess I should of washed my hand before touching my eye. :emoji_wink:
Moved mine to the fridge at 3 days. Certainly has a unique flavor to me. Never had anything like this before. Definitely going for more spice on the next batch

Were going to call this done! Can't say I am to crazy about the smell but it does taste good. One jar going to friend.

20220110_132011.jpg

Got some of Robert and Steve's Spicy Garlic going.

20220110_132959.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff. I remember this thread now. I think I'll get a couple fermentation lids for mason jars. And do a small test run before making a big batch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky