Homemade eyelets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tyotrain

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Upstate new york
I am making a few eyelets for my WSM I have the threaded steel bar but it says it's zinc coded. Is this going to be ok to use?

Thanks tyotrain

Smoke-N-Dave. Tapatalk iPhone

Pretty much any coating on metal may be toxic. If you are making hooks ???  try some SS tig rod from a welding shop. It is usually sold by the pound and available in many diameters.

Initial price may be a little high but it will last forever and it is safe.

I have a bead blaster that should take care of the coating ? What you think.

[quote name="DaveOmak" url="/forum/thread/104824/homemade-eyelets#post_611861"]
Pretty much any coating on metal may be toxic. If you are making hooks ??? try some SS tig rod from a welding shop. It is usually sold by the pound and available in many diameters.

Initial price may be a little high but it will last forever and it is safe.
[/quote]

Making eyelets for my probes for my WSM

43f21002-a428-3e44.jpg

Here is a pic of a eyelet. It let's me pass my probe throw it so I don't have to run the wire under the lid. The one in the pic is not big enough for my probe I catches on the crimp. So I am making my own.

Dave, Now I get it!!

Can you drill out the eyelet or take a dremmel tool to it to enlarge it?

If not, that small amount of plating should not be a problem. I would go with your plan.

Another thought. There are bulkhead unions available at Home centers. Look in the plumbing dep't. They will do what you want for $5 or so. They are usually brass. 

[quote name="DaveOmak" url="/forum/thread/104824/homemade-eyelets#post_611882"]
Another thought. There are bulkhead unions available at Home centers. Look in the plumbing dep't. They will do what you want for $5 or so. They are usually brass.
[/quote]

Dave thanks for the info. Ya I think if I bead blast it I should be all set.

Being a welder the zinc coating will not be a problem. Only when the zinc oxide reaches near melting point and turns into a gas then it will become toxic.................

[quote name="boykjo" url="/forum/thread/104824/homemade-eyelets#post_611893"]
Being a welder the zinc coating will not be a problem. Only when the zinc oxide reaches near melting point and turns into a gas then it will become toxic.................
[/quote]

Boykjo thanks for the info. :)

Ok here is a update and some pics

So I took the threaded rod bead blasted it. Than I cut the rod to fit and put a nut on both sides to tighten. Here are some pics

Before and after blasting

43f21002-e0fd-d3fd.jpg

43f21002-e142-7aa1.jpg

Cutting rod down to size

43f21002-eadf-440a.jpg

Drilling hole

43f21002-eb1f-59e9.jpg

Putting rod throw the hole

43f21002-eb46-e2cd.jpg

Nuts on both sides and done it worked well and the maverick probes fit nicely throw.

43f21002-ebc0-650e.jpg

Smoke-N-Dave--- Those look great!! Is the rod U used tubing for making lamps or something? What a great idea. I'm borrowing it. Dave

Smoke-N-Dave--- Those look great!! Is the rod U used tubing for making lamps or something? What a great idea. I'm borrowing it. Dave

Thanks Dave i got the idea from JIRodriguez .. Yes they are lamp parts. It was easy to do and they work great. Best tool to use is a step up drill when making the hole. 

Last edited:
Glad to see the mod is still alive and kicking.... lol. Mine are still doing great! The WSM never gets hot enough that far up the body to worry about the small amount of zinc coating getting to hot.

I can see you were working at the gun shop!!

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky