Homemade English muffins-made on a flat top!! step by step, w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Al I eat English Muffins every day of my life that's how much I like them. Yours look great !! Guess I need to start making my own...Thanks !!!
Thanks man!

You have to try this.

They are really good homemade.

Al

We got a propane flat top a few days ago and have been cooking up a storm. Looking for things to cook on it, Judy(my wife) came across a recipe for English Muffins. The cool thing is they are not baked in the oven, they are cooked on a griddle pan.

Here's the ingredients:

14 oz lukewarm milk

1 1/2 oz softened butter

1 1/4 to 1 1/2 tsp salt, to taste

7/8 oz sugar

1 large egg, lightly beaten

19 oz Unbleached bread flour

2 tsp instant yeast

corn meal for sprinkling on the griddle

Combine all the ingredients, except the corn meal in a stand mixer.

Beat the dough using the flat paddle until it starts coming away from the sides (about 5 minutes)

The dough will be shiny & stretchy.

Put into a greased bowl & cover. Let it rise until nice & puffy (1 to 2 hours)

Use a non stick griddle, and sprinkle with corn starch. If it's on a cook top use 2 griddles so you can cook all at once.

Gently deflate the dough & divide into 16 pieces, flatten the balls until they are about 3 to 3 1/2 inches in dia.

Put the muffins right on the cold griddle, sprinkle with some corn meal & cover with parchment paper for 20 minutes.

Turn the griddle on low & cook for 7 - 15 minutes per side until their crust is golden brown & the inside is cooked through.

The center should be 200 IT.

If the muffins get browned before the center gets cooked, it's OK to put them in a 350 oven for a few minutes to finish cooking.

Let them cool completely & split them with a fork to get the nooks & crannys. Don't slice them with a knife.

I didn't take pictures of the mixing of the dough, but here it is rising in the oven. It was cold here today, so Judy put it in the oven with the oven light on to raise. It has doubled in size

Next sprinkle some corn meal on the flat top

Then we weighed out the dough. Took the total weight & divided by 16. Each muffin should weigh 65 grams. Then Judy put the ball on a greased piece of foil & smashed it down to a 3-3 1/2" dia.

Then on to the flat top.

Cover them with parchment paper for about 20 minutes. They don't rise much, but they puff up a little.

Turn the flat top on low.

Turning over when they get brown. We turned these several times to keep them from burning until the IT got to 200. I had a grill therm on the griddle & at the end it was reading around 250.

IT is 200 & onto a cooling rack

Let them cool & had to toast one! With some butter!

Then I thought how about some homemade strawberry jam!

That was last night. This morning I'm thinking bacon, eggs & a muffin.

Cooked some homemade bacon, then fried 3 eggs over easy in the bacon grease, and toasted a muffin.

I thought how about a bacon sandwich with the muffin!

Then I started to eat & thought how about putting one of the eggs on the sandwich.

It's a little messy because I have been eating off the plate, but it was delicious.

Thank you all for looking!

These English muffins were much better than the grocery store ones, and I helped Judy do these & they were pretty easy to make.

Even for a guy like me who doesn't do much baking other than following orders.

Al
Found this post while exploring the forum. They look great,Al, they look real and they are real!! (English) muffins are traditionally cooked on a griddle in the UK, where I am from. Could just do with one right now! Amy

Found this post while exploring the forum. They look great,Al, they look real and they are real!! (English) muffins are traditionally cooked on a griddle in the UK, where I am from. Could just do with one right now! Amy
Thank you Amy!

Al

Boy does that sound and look delicious! I wonder if you could use that same recipe and bake in the oven? I don’t have a grill.

We got a propane flat top a few days ago and have been cooking up a storm. Looking for things to cook on it, Judy(my wife) came across a recipe for English Muffins. The cool thing is they are not baked in the oven, they are cooked on a griddle pan.

Here's the ingredients:

14 oz lukewarm milk

1 1/2 oz softened butter

7/8 oz sugar

2 tsp instant yeast

Beat the dough using the flat paddle until it starts coming away from the sides (about 5 minutes)

Use a non stick griddle, and sprinkle with corn starch. If it's on a cook top use 2 griddles so you can cook all at once.

Gently deflate the dough & divide into 16 pieces, flatten the balls until they are about 3 to 3 1/2 inches in dia.

Put the muffins right on the cold griddle, sprinkle with some corn meal & cover with parchment paper for 20 minutes.

Turn the griddle on low & cook for 7 - 15 minutes per side until their crust is golden brown & the inside is cooked through.

If the muffins get browned before the center gets cooked, it's OK to put them in a 350 oven for a few minutes to finish cooking.

Let them cool completely & split them with a fork to get the nooks & crannys. Don't slice them with a knife.

I didn't take pictures of the mixing of the dough, but here it is rising in the oven. It was cold here today, so Judy put it in the oven with the oven light on to raise. It has doubled in size

Then we weighed out the dough. Took the total weight & divided by 16. Each muffin should weigh 65 grams. Then Judy put the ball on a greased piece of foil & smashed it down to a 3-3 1/2" dia.

Then on to the flat top.

Cover them with parchment paper for about 20 minutes. They don't rise much, but they puff up a little.

Turning over when they get brown. We turned these several times to keep them from burning until the IT got to 200. I had a grill therm on the griddle & at the end it was reading around 250.

Cooked some homemade bacon, then fried 3 eggs over easy in the bacon grease, and toasted a muffin.

Then I started to eat & thought how about putting one of the eggs on the sandwich.

It's a little messy because I have been eating off the plate, but it was delicious.

These English muffins were much better than the grocery store ones, and I helped Judy do these & they were pretty easy to make.

Al

Boy does that sound and look delicious! I wonder if you could use that same recipe and bake in the oven? I don’t have a grill.

Thank-you!
If you have a cast iron pan that would work just as well.
Al

GREAT THREAD, AL! Points, Like, whatever it's are called these days.

I don't own a griddle, but I might have to try these on the Kettle with my paella pans or cast iron pizza stone.

Thank-you, I think the cast iron pizza stone would be perfect!
Al

Looks great! I gotta add these to my list of things to try.

Thank-you,
They are really good, I don’t think you would ever buy them in the store again!
Al

Reactions: smokin peachey
SmokinAl SmokinAl , I had to give your English Muffins another go. I want to thank you and Judy for the advice from before. These turned out excellent this time.
20220202_132516.jpg

With some Venison Bacon, eggs and some homemade choke cherry jelly.
20220203_110135.jpg

20220203_110532.jpg

Thanks again for the recipe.

Dang, I guess we have one of them now too! I had forgotten about these! Thanks for the reminder!

Ryan

Here's the ingredients:

14 oz lukewarm milk

1 1/2 oz softened butter

7/8 oz sugar

2 tsp instant yeast

Then on to the flat top.

Al
Awesome Al!

Those look so good! I have been wanting to get a flattop, you all seem to be having so much fun with them! I’m trying to have some discipline since I ordered a BelFab stick burner in Dec, but you aren’t making it easy!!!!!! Thanks for the recipe, I’ll book mark for when I break down!

SmokinAl SmokinAl , I had to give your English Muffins another go. I want to thank you and Judy for the advice from before. These turned out excellent this time.View attachment 524375
With some Venison Bacon, eggs and some homemade choke cherry jelly.
View attachment 524376
View attachment 524377
Thanks again for the recipe.

Your muffins look absolutely perfect, nicely done!!
Al

SmokinAl SmokinAl those look incredible!

Thank you!!
Al
I’ve got a Blackstone buddy that will love this. Gonna email him the link.

Yes, if you have a flat top, then you must try these. You can make them in a
CI pan as well.

Dang, I guess we have one of them now too! I had forgotten about these! Thanks for the reminder!

Ryan

Ha Ha!, get to cooking!
Al
Awesome Al!

Thank-you!!
Al
Looks great, Al! Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. Next time I decide to make English muffins I'll try your recipe...

That is great!
Let me know how they turn out!
Al

Reactions: Winterrider
Just showed this to my wife...I'm sure they will be made much sooner now! She said they look amazing!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky